Canon Pixma Pro-100 ink refills

mastermind85

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
Unless the time comes for a nicely matched set of dye inks for the PRO-100, OEM will always look and perform better.
There are ink sets from China on EBAY that are supposed to be for this printer. However whether they are good or not, you have to buy large volumes of them and shipping will definitely kill you.
So we have to wait for guys like milking and others to sort this out for us.
So if my intent is to buy this printer to use non-oem ink, do you think I should go ahead? (I can wait to use it). Just don't want to buy it if the only way to get good photos from it is to spend $125 for each set of ink.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Well I suppose that is what I mean. Unless you are willing to adapt the inks from PRO 9000 plus some gray which I don't know from what Canon ink set that would come from as I am not a Canon expert. The Hat and Mikling can definitely recommend a lot better than I.
The bottom line is that there really is no alternative at this time for a 3rd party ink choice and worse yet, no way to reset the OEM carts. So you end up having to temporarily disable ink monitoring on the printer.

Although I run 3rd party inks on over half of my 16 printers, I would not ever buy a printer that I could not afford to run on OEM if that was my only choice.
Something to consider before buying a new printer. Besides, you really want to have two full sets of OEM carts ready to go. One goes low, and you exchange the lot. Thus greatly reducing the ink purges that the printer will run after each cart exchange.
The you can refill the removed set at your leisure.
So you need to consider the cost of a second set of OEM carts before you even consider refilling.

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mastermind85 said:
So if my intent is to buy this printer to use non-oem ink, do you think I should go ahead? (I can wait to use it).
Just don't want to buy it if the only way to get good photos from it is to spend $125 for each set of ink.
If and when there is I.S. inks made exclusively for the Pro 100 there will be a difference in it and OEM inks,
as with the 9000 currently it also has a slight difference but most find it very acceptable and are completely satisfied with the output quality.

You can quite easily use I.S. inks that come in small bottles that are made for the 9000,
add in a grey from the MG6220 and an OEM light grey for a complete set.

Youll be able to print very good photos with little or no tweaking at all
using this setup and the bonus will be at a fraction of the cost too.

andy_48
Finally, I'd really appreciate views on whether it might be more sensible to start with the older Pro 9000 Mk II for now as a proven refillable product
and upgrade to a Pro 100 if ever independent inks/ACRs are developed in years to come.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
The Pro 100 has another substantial advantage too. The Pro 9000 has no network connection. That means you have to locate it quite close to a computer (USB cords are short) or you have to do some Rube Goldberg wiring.

mastermind85

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
mastermind85 said:
So if my intent is to buy this printer to use non-oem ink, do you think I should go ahead? (I can wait to use it).
Just don't want to buy it if the only way to get good photos from it is to spend $125 for each set of ink.
If and when there is I.S. inks made exclusively for the Pro 100 there will be a difference in it and OEM inks,
as with the 9000 currently it also has a slight difference but most find it very acceptable and are completely satisfied with the output quality.

You can quite easily use I.S. inks that come in small bottles that are made for the 9000,
add in a grey from the MG6220 and an OEM light grey for a complete set.

Youll be able to print very good photos with little or no tweaking at all
using this setup and the bonus will be at a fraction of the cost too.

andy_48
Finally, I'd really appreciate views on whether it might be more sensible to start with the older Pro 9000 Mk II for now as a proven refillable product
and upgrade to a Pro 100 if ever independent inks/ACRs are developed in years to come.
Thanks! Does anyone know of any sample images on the web showing the quality differences? I'm having a really hard judging without observing.

aflath

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
With this big Rebate, do we think the Pro-100 will become very popular and thus get all of these OEM inks/resetter? How long did it take the Pro 9000 to get a resetter/OEM inks.

I see that Nano Digital has CLI-42 inks on ebay. But not sure what you would do with that if there is no way to reset the chip.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you have patience there WILL be a real Pro-100 inkset very soon.
You can use existing colors from the CLI-series but the question is will it be faithful to the OEM colors. These printers are not purchased for casual desktop printing for office docs. Buyers of the Pro-100 (serious hobbyists and some pros) will want something that produces excellent images.

Talon

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
First, thanks for all the great info!

I have recently purchased a Pixma Pro-100 and I was searching google for replacement ink cartridges when this sight came up in my search. I had no idea about refilling cartridges. Another link that popped up was for a chip resetter from octoinkjet.co.uk. If I'm not mistaken, that will show that the cartridge is full?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That is correct, it’s just like having brand new cartridges every time at a fraction of the cost of OEM inks, you’ll need a small investment now for ink and a redsetter and then it’s happy Printing.. :cool:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Another link that popped up was for a chip resetter from octoinkjet.co.uk. If I'm not mistaken, that will show that the cartridge is full?
Correct.. the REdSETTER for the CLI-42 will allow you to retain the cartridge ink monitoring although a wrinkle has been discovered for anyone who has been refilling so it probably doesn't affect you.

For cartridges that have disabled ink monitoring or DIM'd for short, in the past, the resetter will reset the cartridge ink level to "full" but the ink levels for that cartridge won't degrade slowly as ink is used up. Instead the prism backup/safety monitoring system will detect when the spongeless part of the cartridge is empty and trigger a warning that ink levels are low.

Most folks who are coming new to refilling will not have DIM'd their cartridges so given your earlier comments I'm guessing you're among the majority there. For yourself you'll find that resetting restores full ink monitoring functionality but obviously you'll need to refill the cartridge.

In terms of refilling options, there's two:

The first is with OctoInkjet (which is my baby in the UK) using our SquEasyFill system and inks manufactured specially for us in Germany. The second is through Precision Colors who got early to the party with their inkset and are based in North America

Overall, plenty of input from folks here, who are playing with things and will doubtless give you a warts n'all opinion of the options, etc...