canon pixma pro-100 cli-42 ink status indicator

nerdful1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello,
Question: Does the pro100 start its ink counter before the prism detects low ink?

More important: if I keep my tank level above the prism, do I need to reset?
Just topping off often would work for me.
See below for my history.

I've been updating myself on the forums about the pro-100 as it is time to do my first refill.

History is I got ink set and resetter from precision colors.

In the virgin printer I swapped the Y chip to his flushed oem cart, and it said bad y cart. I went and bought a y cart locally and ran it to now.

I changed the chip on my esd station, esd mat, and my Faraday lab coat on. Was surprised.

Anyway, after spending all day catching up about refilling issues,
I can't seem to find answer to my question.

See first sentence above.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Question: Does the pro100 start its ink counter before the prism detects low ink?
No one knows for sure, though previous experiments have pointed to the ink level monitoring working even if the prism is tricked. Regardless, the result is it does not matter concerning your second question.

More important: if I keep my tank level above the prism, do I need to reset?
Just topping off often would work for me.
People have tried various methods to defeat Canon's ink level monitoring / chipped cartridge system. You cannot fool the ink level monitoring system by topping off the cartridge before or after the prism functions, using masking tape to defeat the prism, or any other method. The only choices are using new replacement cartridges, resetting the chip and refilling cartridges (ink level monitoring enabled), or not resetting the chip and refilling (ink level monitoring disabled).