Canon Pixma MX870

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Gang

I have been told by several people that this printer can be modified to print on printable CD, DVD disks, you have to buy the tray and change the settings on the printer and of course install the correct drivers for this.

And then I have been told you can't do that with this printer, so which is right.? Can you or can't you.?

Thanx...Gunny

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I don't see it on the list at http://damnprinter.com/. Maybe look around at similar model instructions to see if your printer is listed.

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Stratman

Ya I looked there too, but I Googled it, and several came back saying it can be done, but there were a few that said no you can't.

So that is why I came here, oh well maybe some one else knows about this, or has one that they did this too. As I understand it most of the Canon printers were made for foreign and USA sales, and these were the ones that this can be done too.

I appreciate it.....Gunny

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Canon does not sell their printers ready to print on CD's in the USA. Everywhere else, if the printer has the capability built in then the printer is sold with everything you need to print on disks out of the box.

EBay is the place most purchase a CD Tray in order to print on Cd's with their USA-sold Canon printers. Do a search on eBay for "Canon CD Tray". If no results list your printer model then it is likely the link I furnished above is correct in not listing your model.

One thing to give some hope: Until recently, the MX850 was the only MX model listed as modifiable for printing on CD's. I see that the MX860 has been added to the list now that CD Print Enabler software is capable in assisting with the required alterations. Maybe your printer model will join the ranks one day.

Let us know if you are able to modify your printer to successfully print on CD's.

Good luck, Gunny.

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Stratman

No sorry to say this one cannot be converted, I e-mailed the guy that wrote the article on what Mods can be converted and he said all his research he found said it wont do this.

Ya I went to Ebay and checked out the trays. I am determined to get a Canon Pixma printer that will do this. I have a couple of MX830 mods in my sights now and I know they will do this. I used a Epson Artisan 800 for a long time, that had the capability and it worked great, until I was gone for a couple of weeks and the ink dried up and clogged the printer heads, found out I could not get replacement parts so this in what led me to checking out the Canon printers. Up until a couple of weeks ago I did not know the Epson was not the only printer that did this.

Great forum you have here, great, and quick responses, very knowledagable people.

Thanx....Gunny

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If you still have the Epson Artisan 800, you might want to start a new thread inquiring into how to unclog the print head.

Canon print heads have been successfully unclogged (sometimes) with plenty of Windex With Ammonia D and even more patience. Maybe something similar can be done for Epsons. I'd help but don't know about the Epsons, but others around here do.

EDIT

Like magic, just read another thread about clearing a clog in an Epson R220 - http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=47086#p47086.

Is this forum great or what!