Canon MP830 error 5400

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I bought a none working Canon MP830 printer with an error code 5400. I bought the printer for $2.00 for the cartridges and printhead, but if I could fix the printer it would be nice. Any ideas what is the 5400 error?
Al

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Using Google to search on "error code 5400"...

From http://pcmediks.blogspot.com/2010/11/canon-pixma-error-codes-and-solution.html

Internal temperature error or Error Code 5400
Condition: The internal temperature is not normal.
Problems and Solutions:

Replace one of the following:
- Carriage unit
- Logic board
- Print head

In other words, a new print head MAY resolve the problem OR NOT and potentially ruin another print head.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service manual and parts catalog could be very useful in repairing your MP830. You find them here: http://www.wraithtdk.com/filedump/MP830/Canon PIXMA MP830 Service Manual.pdf and here: http://www.wraithtdk.com/filedump/MP830/Canon PIXMA MP830 Parts Catalog.pdf

The service manual has a list of service call errors on page 1-6 and 1-7. From this list it is seen that error 5400 is internal temperature error. Suggested parts replacements are logic board and carriage unit, but not print head. The code for printhead temperature error is 5200. Codes 1401, 1403 and 1405 in the operator call errors on page 1-4 are also related to printhead problems.

In the parts catalog page 6 of 7 left you see the carriage unit. I think the temperature error could be caused by a motor drawing too much current due to some mechanical blockage or too much friction, maybe the printhead carriage cannot move freely from side to side ?

To test this, turn on the printer and open the lid as if you would change a cartridge. Then without turning power off by the on/off switch pull out the power cord. Now try if the printhead carriage can move freely from side to side. If not it might need lubrication. For lubrication see pages 1-38 to 1-40 inclusive. The recommended lubricant is a grease, Floil KG107A, Canon part number QY9-0057-000, but I think that an oil containing teflon might also work well for the carriage rail.

So before starting search for a new printhead, Canon part number QY6-0061-000, I suggest checking for mechanical problems.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
PeterBJ is correct. The MP830 lists the logic board assay and the carriage unit as potential issues and not the print head. Interestingly, the MP800 lists the logic board assay only. Seems Canon did some reconfiguring beyond performance and appearance in going from the MP800 to the MP830, but was this to make repair technician's lives easier or finally recognition of a problem remains to be determined.