Canon MP540 takes about minute to start printing first page

nizz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm using my MP540 for few years and it work just fine.
After use of it's OEM cartriges i use replacement cartriges from Orink and Speed(or someting like that), those without chip, i change it and now ink level indicator dont work(no big deal :) ).
Printing was fine after changing 3-4 cartriges, and after i changed whole set of colors then printer start to be annoying!
When i turned on printer printer start to do something, and i dont now what? It last for about minute, i hear rolers to start roling, like some process of something(adono, maybe cleaning or... :idunno) his doing. Printing wont start in this process, they must be finished befre printing.
Interesting is that this is happening randomly, sometimes start instant print sometimes is doing this.
No matter from wich program i try to print, Notepad, Word, PDF, is it picture or text - same thing, randomly is doing that.
Now is printer allways on, same thing.
I was thinking, it's maybe just some king of warming up, but with OEM ink work normal.
Or maybe is EPROM configured like that, when noticed use of non OEM ink then start to do something, just to(in) spite :hu

This is not big problem, but when you want someting quick print, few lines in Notepad and you must wait for minute, it's realy annoying.
Is this common thing, or it's maybe happening only on this printer, any experience with this?

P.S. Autoreset chip or chip reseter for this printer, are those good investment or just waste of money? :)
tnx

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Printer maintenance at start up and even when the power is kept on is normal. If you can fins a Service Manual for your printer, or one close to it in the MP500 line, you will see the list of scheduled maintenance routines. Something happens at every start up, every cartridge is removed from the print head, timed at X number of hours since the last maintenance cycle, etc.

It has been hypothesized from observation that maintenance cycles increase in frequency if you use Canon printers after overriding the empty cartridge - change cartridge warning. Some have wondered if the same occurs if you use third party cartridges and their chips. There is no strong empirical data to suggest if you reset the OEM canon chip that these increased cycles occur as long as you've never overridden the empty cartridge warning.

Since this is a forum largely dedicated to refilling ink cartridges, conventional wisdom is to refill your OEM Canon cartridges with high quality third party ink and reset the chips with a chip resetter. Depending on your country you live in, the forum may suggest where and what to purchase, even if all you want is a chip resetter and want to continue purchasing refilled cartridges.

nizz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
stratman said:
Printer maintenance at start up and even when the power is kept on is normal. If you can fins a Service Manual for your printer, or one close to it in the MP500 line, you will see the list of scheduled maintenance routines. Something happens at every start up, every cartridge is removed from the print head, timed at X number of hours since the last maintenance cycle, etc.

It has been hypothesized from observation that maintenance cycles increase in frequency if you use Canon printers after overriding the empty cartridge - change cartridge warning. Some have wondered if the same occurs if you use third party cartridges and their chips. There is no strong empirical data to suggest if you reset the OEM canon chip that these increased cycles occur as long as you've never overridden the empty cartridge warning.

Since this is a forum largely dedicated to refilling ink cartridges, conventional wisdom is to refill your OEM Canon cartridges with high quality third party ink and reset the chips with a chip resetter. Depending on your country you live in, the forum may suggest where and what to purchase, even if all you want is a chip resetter and want to continue purchasing refilled cartridges.
Ok, tnx for info.
Hmm, i dont refill my cartriges, i buy allready refilled ones(Orink), w/o chip, one cartrige in store cost me cca $1.2(before was $1).
What ink is " high quality third party ink" that you suggest, for Canon cartige?
I live in Croatia/Europe.
Chip resetter cost me less than $20, now are cheaper than i look last time(2-3y ago), maybe i buy one piece :)
But autoresett chips cost me $12, are someone using those, they work ok?

One more thing, OEM chip and those what come with replacement cartriges are the same thing or they are different, can both be resetted?

@ mikling
How this could be issue? Use of non oem cartriges? :idunno

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
A non functioning chip is the issue. The printer attempts to safeguard itself as much as possible when it is asked to run blind....i.e. the chip is not working and the optical ink level detector is not working.... only when the chip is running will the optical system work. .. and there appears to be an algorithm that lets the printer ignore the optical system for a certain count if the chip is at a very high level. So testing the chip functionality can be very deceptive.

As has been shown before, when the chip is working, the printer will trust the optical system that tells the printer it is properly loaded with ink. If it thinks the only ink left is that left in the sponge, it will attempt to try and get whatever is left so that the printhead is fed with ink. It does this by pulling ink down the head and this taks more time.,,, and whirring.

Properly reset OEM chips is the better option. The ARC chips can fool the printer too easily if it is cycled off and on with each use of the printer as doing so, will also cause the printer to think it received new cartridges each time it is turned on...with more ink useage and the override of the optical system with full readings. So ARC if they are continually cycled will cause more ink useage and possibly not give proper warning about low ink levels.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I live in the USA, so others will have to make recommendations on prefilled cartridges that you can swap your chips onto or already come with a chip installed. Druckerchannel does reviews of compatible Canon cartridges such as here. If you don't read German then try Google Translate to plug in the URL and choose a language understandable for you. Look around Druckerchannel for lots of great information.

It has been reported that some aftermarket made chips are not resettable with certain chip resetters. Druckerchannel reported on this for the CLI-8 cartridges and may have similar info for other chip versions. If you use prefilled third party cartridges then the forum recommends not refilling them yourself as nothing is as durable and tolerant to refilling as OEM Canon cartridges. Your experience may differ. If you are going to refill then my recommendation is OEM Canon cartridges.

As mikling has written, ARC chips require more vigilance to prevent problems with the print head than using a chip resetter. With ARC chips, if the printer power is turned off then on turning the power back on the ARC chip resets to FULL no matter how much ink is in the cartridge. Also, every time the ARC chip resets, the printer thinks you just put in a new cartridge and does a priming maintenance routing which wastes 1 ml or so of ink for ALL cartridges. With ARC chips, you may still need to watch the fill level of cartridges to prevent running out of ink during printing and potentially burning out your print head. If you need to take a cartridge out to visually determine ink fill level, then the printer will run a maintenance cycle as if a new cartridge was put in. Again, ink is used up and deposited in the waste ink pads. Waste ink pads eventually fill up and need to be replaced - which costs money and/or a lot of patience if you do it yourself.

Using a chip resetters returns "normal" function to the chip - you can power off the printer and when you turn it back on the printer "remembers" the ink fill level. No priming with ink is done as would happen with ARC chips.

nizz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks very much guys!
So chip resetter for $17 is the key :)
When i ordered and try it, i'l inform you about result.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A chip resetter definitely makes life easier.

One tip -- reset the chip before you refill. It may save you some mess.

Have fun and let us know.

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
Has anyone tried to reset the chips that come on non-OEM carts? (In other words, put those chips on OEM carts, in particular to reuse my old PGI-220 carts for as PGI-225 carts.)

Tom C

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
twcinnh said:
Has anyone tried to reset the chips that come on non-OEM carts? (In other words, put those chips on OEM carts, in particular to reuse my old PGI-220 carts for as PGI-225 carts.)

Tom C
Non OEM chip can be reset in most cases but again it will depend on the quality of these chips
and also that of your resetter, not all can be reset dough.

Its a case of trial and error just get yourself any non OEM carts and see if it resets
and if it does then youll be able to swap it onto your OEM cartridges..:)