Canon MG5350 print problems

Gaby11

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP3600 and Canon MG5350
I bought another new 3 printers MG5350, I need them for my business, so I put a new timing strip on my old MG5350 and the problem persists...
What is wrong with this printer?

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 9500, pro-1
@Gaby11 ,
Did you try to clean the optical sensor in the carriage assembly as @Pentode suggested?
Did you do a printhead alignment after replacing the timing strip?

You didn't mention how many pages you managed print with your current printers. Do you think that you may have worn them out? I'm not trying to imply that that's the problem; just throwing out the possibility.

I'll suggest that you don't transfer the CISS from your old printer(s) to the new. Get fresh new ones. CISS systems do wear out, too.

BTW, you might want to keep spray cleaners, waxes, and lubricants away from your printers. The aerosols can get into everything including optical sensors and may leave residues that attract dirt.

Gaby11

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
@berttheghost,

I put new originals cartridges , I don't know exactly how to clean optical sensor...
Probably I print 20-30 edible photos per week.
This old printer MG5350 didn't print more than 600-700 pages and it has a new headprint(1 month old) .

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 9500, pro-1
@Gaby11 ,
Your partial success in alleviating the print problem suggests that the problem lies in the parts associated with the timing strip. These include the carriage encoder sensor located on the carriage, the carriage wiring harness, and the logic board(s?). (The timing strip is also called the carriage encoder strip or simply encoder strip. The optical sensor on the carriage is the carriage encoder sensor.)

You might check the wires running between the carriage and other parts of the printer to ensure that they haven't gotten loose from their stays. They are subject to constant motion so they need to be belted in.

I can't in good conscience provide instructions for cleaning the carriage encoder sensor. But if it were my printer, I would obtain some flat foam or fabric cleaning swabs. I would remove the timing strip, cut down the swabs to the width of the timing strip, moisten the swabs with 50 percent isopropyl alcohol, and gently swab out the slot in the carriage that the timing strip passes through. I'd give it some time to dry before reassembly. It would probably be a good idea to not go crazy with cleaning fluid, but being me, I'd put a few towels underneath the carriage. beforehand.
I would try this knowing that if I messed up I'd probably have to junk it. I have provided the above hypothetical anecdote strictly for its entertainment value and should not be construed as repair advice. So there.:)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Here is a thread about the optical reader for the timing strip, and specially notice posts #5 and #7.

I agree with berttheghost and also say try this at your own risk.

A window cleaner with ammonia might be better for cleaning as the inks are water based, not alcohol based. The window cleaner is electrically conductive, so the cleaning strip/swab should only be slightly moistened, not wetted. Drops of a conductive liquid might cause the printer electronics to malfunction or even cause destruction.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
What about a simple nozzle check?! I miss this first diagnosis here, to see what is really going on...are the white lines vertical or horizontal to the printing direction..?..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
What about a simple nozzle check?! I miss this first diagnosis here, to see what is really going on...are the white lines vertical or horizontal to the printing direction..?..
These are a very relevant request and question.

I have one more question: Could the prints be 4"x6"? I think this matches distance between stripes, that might be caused by clogged nozzles or maybe dirty timing disks or dirty output rubber rollers.

Here is a thread
about an MG5350 with a problem similar to yours. The problem was caused by a build-up of edible ink on the output rollers.

Gaby11

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Problem solved, was a dirty timing disc !

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Congratulations with solving the problem, and thanks for the feed-back:thumbsup

Last edited:

Gaby11

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model