Canon iP8500 error

Trevors

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8500
I had great help back in March with an 'Ink Full' error. Thanks to PeterBj and others. All was working well until now!

I have an error message "Operator error" and have 5 orange flashes followed by a solid green light.

Any suggestions this time?

Thanks for your help.

Trevor

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Ouch, I am afraid you have reached the end of your print heads life, and there’s no coming back from that sorry.

You may be lucky to pick one on EBay but be careful where you source one, they are available in China but a lot of them seem to be a bit dodgy .. :eek:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Sadly The Hat is right. This is the error message Canon printer owners don't want to see.

The printer most likely has a QY6-0055 print head installed. This print head was replaced by the QY6-0076, which is still available from CRC Tasktron UK.

But when a Canon print head fails there is a risk that it damages the logic board. The now damaged logic board can damage a new print head, so replacing the print head is a gamble and sadly I cannot tell the odds for success. You decide if it is worth the risk. The print head is quite expensive.

If you are very lucky the error could be caused by dirty contacts on the print head and/or on the print head carriage contact springs. You could try to clean the contacts with a rag moistened by an electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol. But I think the chance that this works is very slim.

Last edited:

Trevors

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8500
As you say..........not good to hear. But thanks for the quick replies. I'll have to have a think about it.

Trevor