Canon iP4600 Problem - maybe replacement printer

Cedric

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Can anyone please help me with suggestions re an ink Jet problem?:)

I have a Canon Pixma iP4600, ie uses CLI 620 & 521 cartridges. For 30 months I have been refilling it quite satisfactorily. I have seen pharmacists post, showing photos of his method but for the record the refill method described by my ink supplier differs from his in that I bored the hole into the top of the cartridge. My problem is that I am now getting messages that the ink absorber pads are full.

Everyone I have asked tells me the best option is to buy another printer :( if so I need to find one that:
a) Uses small amounts of ink (the 4600 specs claim 1 pico-litre whereas many cheaper printers are said to use 3).
b) Print optical disks, colour & greyscale documents, & moderate or better quality photos.
c) Cartridges can be refilled (I still have a large supply of ink, so similar ink to the 4600 is desirable).

The iP4600 is no longer on the market, the Pixma iP4850 meets criteria a & b.

Q1) If I just put some absorbent rag & blotting paper under the 4600, will it continue to work OK apart from my having to hit the resume button every time I submit a job, or will the spillage get onto the paper I am printing?
Q2) Or can anyone refer me to instructions for getting to the absorbent pads so I can clean or change them?
Q3) The refill supplier claims my existing ink is unsuitable for the 4850, is he just trying to sell more ink? What is the base of the 4600 refill ink, & is do the 4850 cartridges use the same ink type?
Q4) A retailer who does not sell refill tells me the cartridges cannot be refilled but wouldnt explain why. Is it the same as the 4600 where the ink level detection has to be disabled by a simple use of the resume button? Or do I need after market cartridges that can be reset for multiple fills?
Q5) If the 4850 cartridges (525 & 526) cant be refilled, what other printers will use my existing ink, and satisfy the above criteria?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To fix iP4600 check here. The utility is still available for download on internet.
Usually the waste ink tank counter can be reset at least once before ink flowing out.

For IP4850 with 525 & 526 cart in my area are available compatible cartridges, refill kits, bulk ink, reseter and so on. Except of being completely opaque, there is no big difference from previous carts.

Good luck.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Cedric
Q3) The refill supplier claims my existing ink is unsuitable for the 4850, is he just trying to sell more ink? What is the base of the 4600 refill ink, & is do the 4850 cartridges use the same ink type?
Q4) A retailer who does not sell refill tells me the cartridges cannot be refilled but wouldnt explain why. Is it the same as the 4600 where the ink level detection has to be disabled by a simple use of the resume button? Or do I need after market cartridges that can be reset for multiple fills?
Q5) If the 4850 cartridges (525 & 526) cant be refilled, what other printers will use my existing ink, and satisfy the above criteria?
Just follow the link that gigigogu Posted and your waste ink problem will be solved till the next time the message appears again.
You should also change your ink supplier (my opinion) for given you duff information on your inks,
if your happy using your current ink then by all means continue using it despite their claims, it will work in the 4850 just as well.

If you decide to change your printer the 4850 uses opaque 525/526 cartridges that can be refilled with some difficulty
but you can also use the 520/521 cartridges in this machine (with chip swap) that are very easy to refill.

Then if you use OEM cartridges and refill them it would be advisable to get yourself a resetter
to avoid having to disable your ink monitoring and guessing how much ink is left..