Canon ip4500 not picking paper from cassette

DoryJ

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've seen a lot of great advice in the posts and hope that someone can help me solve my problem.

My Canon Ip4500 does not pick up paper in the cassette. Paper is lifted in the cassette and taken round the white plastic rod at the back, then does not move further. Error is 3 blinks of the orange light, and instructions on screen to open the rear flap and remove the jammed paper. Repeated attempts to print from the cassette give the same result.

The problem arose after I repaired another problem, which was that the ip4500 emitted a screeching noise. I thought it was a write-off, so bought a newer Canon, but then discovered that the new model didn't do duplex printing, had different ink cartridges and generally seemed of poorer quality. I sent that one back, and decided to try to repair the ip4500, but it's taken me 3 months to get round to it, so I may have forgotten the exact details of its original malfunctioning.

Suspecting there was something stuck in it, I took the casing off following instructions, shook it and a very small bit of white plastic fell out...looked suspiciously like a bit broken off the innards. After this, it no longer screeched, but paper would not feed in properly via the rear feed. It was yanked in at an angle and got crushed. Following other instructions, I inserted some card in the rollers and moved it forwards and backwards a few times to dislodge anything else that might be in there. After printing about 20 sheets, the printer is now accepting paper from the rear feed, although sometimes it turns down the right hand (seen from the front) lead corner of the sheet of paper and deposits black ink on this corner.

In an effort to rectify this remaining problem, I pushed some card in via the rear flap and pulled it out again, in case there was anything still blocking the paper path.
As I did not test the cassette feed before I took off the casing, I can't tell whether inserting the card at the rear caused the cassette feed to stop working.

It seems that some part of the paper feed mechanism is not grabbing the paper from the cassette once it has got round the white plastic rod at the back. Looking inside via the rear flap, beneath the grey plastic underside of the paperfeed, is a white plastic strip which is connected to the three white plastic L-shaped tabs in the rear paper feed slot. This white plastic strip is hanging down lopsidedly, and I can see a black wire about 1 cm long, emerging from the white plastic strip about 3 cm from its right hand edge. The wire is kinked, and I am wondering whether this kink is a result of my inserting the card, and whether it is part of the problem.

Apologies for a long-winded post, but I am following the 'sticky' instructions to give as much info as possible.

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The fact that a broken bit fell out of your printer makes me think that getting the cassette tray to work is probably a lost cause. But, that doesn't mean the printer is useless.

I never use the cassette - I do ALL my printing from the rear tray (plain, card, photo, envelope, whatever) and I find this is as easy as Canon's standard arrangement of using plain paper in the cassette and everything else in the rear tray.

Make the rear tray the default setting in Control Panel -> Printers (or "Devices And Printers") -> Right Click -> Printer Preferences -> "Paper Source = Rear Tray" -> Tick the box to say "Always print with the current settings" . Then also set the default for plain paper to be the rear tray in Printer Preferences -> Maintenance -> "Paper Source Settings for Plain Paper".

Ian