Canon IP3000 black ink problem

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hello all...my first post! My Canon IP3000 will print 3 to 5 pages of text, and then print output fades away.
After a light cleaning, I get a perfect nozzle check. I can then print 3 to 5 pages of text, and
then the output fades away once again.......After a light cleaning, I get a perfect nozzle check. I can then
print 3 to five pages and then the output fades away once again! Am I repeating myself? Any ideas will be appreciated!
(New BCI-3eBK oem cartridge installed with no improvment).

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got an air leak. Around the screen in the print carriage is a little rubber seal pull it out and check for cracks because those can leak air.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You have flow problem.
Are you refilling your cartridges? If yes, are you using Canon OEM cartridges to refill.

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
qwertydude.......Thanks for the quick response. The seal is not split or cracked, but it does show a mild
circular indentation mirroring the cartridge outlet. Is the seal removable or renewable using a non-destructive method?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You can remove the seal, just pull it out with some tweezers or long-nosed pliers. I have no idea how to rejuvenate them. I think the indentation is normal. Unfortunately, since you have only one of the larger seals for the pigment black, you can't swap it as a test.

I have a defective print head from an iP3000. Do you want to swap the large seal with me? Email me your address and I'll send it on its way. Then you can decide which one to send back to me. (All in the interest of science.)

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I am still struggling to solve my black text printing problem(see post #1 of this thread). I removed and examined the seal and found no splits or cracks. Thanks to ghwellsjr, I tried another seal, but this did not resolve the problem. I can print 4-5 pages, then the image fades away.

However, I did discover that the black cartridge reservoir had almost emptied................I have only printed or attempted to print about 15 to 20 pages. I refilled the reservoir, did a head cleaning. got a good nozzle check, printed 5 pages, then the image faded away!

Any new ideas would be appreciated!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have had problems with refilled pigment cartridges that wouldn't consistently deliver ink. I have concluded that the problem is the filter in the outlet port. Most people solve this problem by making a hole in the top of the reservoir (which they usually already have because they refill through it) and then force a lot of water under pressure through the outlet port. I solved it by vacuum refilling the cartridges through the outlet port. I used to vacuum refill through the air vent which resulted in the problem.

Do you have any more BCI-3eBk cartridges? You don't want to leave any cartridges out of your printer for more than a couple minutes. Of course the best thing to do is purchase a new OEM cartridge to see if that solves your problem. If it does then at least you know the problem is not in your print head or in your printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
slocumeddie

:| I know I might get shot for suggesting this, but would you have a spare OEM black cartridge that you could use to fill using the alternative (original) top filling method.
Please make sure that there are no leaks + give the cartridge a little shake before installing it and see if using that method produces a different outcome (more than 5 sheets)..