Canon clear ink. How effective is it?

telv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Canon Pixma iX7000 or Pixma Pro 9500? Both these printers have a clear ink cartridge. The ink is applied to the paper prior to printing and Canon claim this enables plain paper to be used to give a photo quality output. How well does it work? All comments and suggestions welcome. These printers use the Lucia range of pigmented inks. Is there a compatible ink refill supplier?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
telv Does anyone have experience with the Canon Pixma iX7000 or Pixma Pro 9500? Both these printers have a clear ink cartridge.
Sorry to disappoint you but the 9500 doesnt use clear ink at all.
Even if you go for the 7000 you wont find any third party clear ink available or a resetter for it either.. :(

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Hat, I will be carrying the clear ink for the iX7000 in the future. I'm hoping some crack coder will make a real PGI-9 resetter. I'm sure it's doable it's a question of the size of the market and whether it's worthwhile for a manufacturer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mikling I'm hoping some crack coder will make a real PGI-9 resetter. I'm sure it's doable it's a question of the size of the market and whether it's worthwhile for a manufacturer.
I dont think that will happen any time soon, as you say the market is just not there and I tend to agree.
I had hoped that the new resetter for the 526s just might work with these two PGI-9 chips but sadly no.

The clear ink wont be a big seller for now unless Canon releases more printers with that new technology on board
but still good to know, and where I can send new buyers too..:)

telv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
The clear ink wont be a big seller for now unless Canon releases more printers with that new technology on board
My question was how well does it work? It has been around for about three years, apparently still only in two models - so maybe the answer is not very!!