Canon chipped cartridges

PhilC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Done a search and trawl of the forum but cant find a definite answer. So guys do the different colour Canon cartridges have identical chips so any cartridge can be used for any colour with suitable washing etc. ?

The reason I m asking is I have 8 genuine Cli-8 empty cartridges for refilling for my pro9000mkii but not one of every the 8 colors, so am wondering whether I need get the missing ones or if just refilling the ones I have with a different colour would be ok.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Sorry, but every chip is specific to each color!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PhilC said:
Done a search and trawl of the forum but cant find a definite answer. So guys do the different colour Canon cartridges have identical chips so any cartridge can be used for any colour with suitable washing etc. ?

The reason I m asking is I have 8 genuine Cli-8 empty cartridges for refilling for my pro9000mkii but not one of every the 8 colors, so am wondering whether I need get the missing ones or if just refilling the ones I have with a different colour would be ok.
Nope it doesnt quite work like that.
All of the CLI-8 cartridges are the same but the chips on the bottom of the cartridge are only specific to one colour.
So you are right about the cartridge in any position but youll need to change the chip so as it corresponds to the correct position in the print head,
so any cartridge + Red chip = only the red position and any cartridge + yellow chip = only the yellow position and so on..:)

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
My experience as well, each chip is specific to a single colour. I have a couple of chips and I've coloured them with a marker to make things a little easier. Dunno if doodling on the chips will damage them in the long run :p

PhilC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks guys, guess I ll just locate a few more cartridges. I like to keep a spare set on hand even though refilling pretty quick and easy.