Canon cartridge recycling program.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Searching info about Canon CLI-42 cartridges, I found this from Canon UK: http://www.canon.co.uk/recycling/inkjet/index.aspx It looks to me like Canon wants to remove "Virgin Empty" cartridges from the market and thus make refilling more difficult. BTW I see this initiative as an indirect confirmation from Canon, that Canon OEM cartridges are the best for refilling!

It looks like you get no credit for your empty cartridges, you only get postage prepaid envelopes. I wonder what their next move will be, probably something like the Lexmark return program which uses non refillable return cartridges and more expensive refillable cartridges, or single use chips?

Of course Canon claim that they do it to save the environment, I think that donating the used cartridges to a home refiller saves the environment just as well.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would love to know the Canon members name that visits and regularly participates on this forum.:love
You better believe it guys there are watching and listening to our every move.. :barnie

Well spotted PeterBJ.. :thumbsup

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember the old TV program, "secret agent"? Each segment opened with the secret agent receiving an audio tape that included the message the the tape would self destruct in 60 (?) seconds. I hope that Canon doesn't take a hint from the program and build into their carts a self destruct feature once the cart is empty. Initialy they thought that the chip would accomplish that function. Next comes a small charge of C4!

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
The program was called Mission Impossible and was the basis for 3 Tom Cruise movies. When I have cartridges that are worn out I take them to Staples and get $2 credit for each one.

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Here in The Netherlands some charity programs collect empty cartridges that they can sell to raise funds. Some time ago when I wanted CLI-521 cartridges to replace my opaque CLI-526 cartridges, I contacted one of them and asked how much they got per cartridge. 50 cents. I offered them 1 euro and got 3 complete sets of 6 cartridges for 18 euros. And a good feeling that I contributed to charity.
I like these charity programs. Much cheaper than ebay and a vast supply.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
billkunert said:
The program was called Mission Impossible and was the basis for 3 Tom Cruise movies. When I have cartridges that are worn out I take them to Staples and get $2 credit for each one.
My bad! I knew there was a secret agent involved, but missed the name of the program. I did, however, remember the self-destructing tape.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
HP has a similar recycling program: http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/cartridge-recycling.html

Most of HP's ink cartridges are of the combined sponge/printhead in one type. These cartridges are much more difficult to refill than Canon's single ink tanks, so remanufactured cartridges are popular. So it looks like HP is trying to prevent remanufacturers from obtaining used cartridges to refill.

Running a sponged HP cartridge dry makes it difficult to get working properly again for the home refiller, so I think HP sponged cartridges are closer to the ideal of "the self destructing cartridge" than Canon's single ink tanks.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Hmm, I think I could vacuum-fill those. Come to think of it, I've got got one of those in an old printer that's been sitting there dried up for 15 years. On second thought, it can just stay there.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
I used to refill these for years. I still have an HP that I occasionaly use and refill the carts. You are right in saying they are much harder to refill. Yes do not run the cart dry. I refilled mine when they were about 1/2 empty. Then let them sit for about 8 or more hours in a tray of water about a 1/4 deep. This just keeps the cart from drying out while waiting for the ink to settle into sponge and adjust itself to equal room pressure. Next day dry and install and if you are lucky you will be in buisness. I recently saw a gadget some guy made out of a storage clip. He cut a rectangle little bit bigger than the ink exit pattern on the bottom of the cart, into the foam pad in the clip. Then drilled a thru from bottom into the center of this rectangle and installed lurh end from a needle. All you do is attach a syringe to it and draw a vacuum with the cart installed in the cllip. The idea is to draw ink through all of the tiny openings that tend to get plugged up. In theory it should work. :D