Canon 7D Mk II

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I certainly will think twice to enable GPS on a camera for personal use.
It may sound conservative, but I don't want that my nice locations are known by everybody.
OTH I do profit for my trips and hikes from the info other people did share, I could be treated as an egoist.

Instead of GPS I would have preferred wifi on the 7DII, but I can miss it.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
All the gadgets have implications, we are running, not walking, into an age of access, without really being also taught the required 'smarts'. As a kid learned how to use the Sun to navigate basic travel in the bush. When a person buys a smart camera no one sits down with you and talks you through the traps. My dad showed me survival, I also learned from the locals. We are at arms length with most everything now. You are right, sadly, there ARE risks attached to "SHARING"

I sometimes think our society is missing the big picture by frequently ignoring the basics like "reading, 'riting and 'rithmatic".

Kids nowadays can happily debate quantum physics or string theory, but ask them to make change for $14.67 from a $20.00 bill without a calculator and see the blank looks.

OK, I know I am generalizing, but you get the idea!

Roy Sletcher
"Whose teachers over 60 years ago made sure he could read, write, and add"

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Roy there's "new" math. I guess the old math was not accurate enough.

I know about the change aspect. I do not like coins jingling in my pocket so I often give coins so that I minimize the coins I receive as change. 7 times out of 10. I get that " why are you giving me more than necessary" look or the cashier is totally stumped as to what to do.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
OK, I know I am generalizing, but you get the idea!
Roy you are 110% correct. Now they are implementing Common Core which, I've heard, makes math a foreign language to adults.

Q: Why is ten afraid?
A: Because seven eight nine.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Here they are discussing abandoning altogether all forms of teaching of mental arithmatic, as there is no longer a need to memorise times table, addition and subtraction........because those functions are EVEN readily available on the cheapest cell phone, so if they are so available what IS the point of rote learning all that STUFF. The original proposal came from a study conducted by one of the top USA Universities.......The FACTS speak for themselves, its perfectly right their data is not wrong............but the outcome?

Imagine

"Art this piece of wood is three meters long," " well Ernie my piece is two and a half...."
"Art how much wood do we have?" :)
"Sorry Ernie, no idea, left my phone in the car!!" :confused:

:hide

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I totally agree with all of the above members, but despite all of their failings these young people are going to have to take care of us oldies for the future, and in my case mine are doing a good job of it.

Just remember it’s the failings of our education system that has it the way it is and not the failure of our young people.

Saying that, could you imagine the confusion if we still used the old LSD, 240 pennies to a pound, I bet you wouldn't get the correct change.. :duc*#** :lol:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Roy what are your initial reactions? I have now reached the stage where I think I know most of the button selection functions......

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Roy what are your initial reactions? I have now reached the stage where I think I know most of the button selection functions......

So far so good. Much is the same as the original 7D.

Slowly working my way through the 500 page manual, plus the supplementary 50 page instructions on the 65 point auto focus. Quite a handful to take in, but initial results are very promising.

Impatiently waiting for the ACR update from Adobe so I can process my raw files. Like all bad photographers I rely on the post processing to save my bacon. :)

How are you finding it Emu?

As is always the case, my new toy corresponds with a busy time. Will get more time next week.

RS