Can the Canon MX870 be refilled without resetting the chip?

Quigley

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'd like to buy the new Canon multifunction printer MX 870. Now I was wondering if you can disable the ink monitoring level by holding the reset button on the printer for five seconds so it can continue printing, like was possible on my Pixma IP 4300.

Otherwise, if not possible, does a chip resetter work reliably? I read somewhere that it can only be done a couple of times after which the chip becomes unusable.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Quigley

The same principle applies for the Canon 520/521 cartridges as with the CL-8s in the 4300. Now disabling the ink monitoring maybe fine if you dont do much printing, but you really need a chip resetter for any serious work.
There are resetter available for the Canon 520/521 now and with refilling the OEM cartridges you cant go wrong, just remember to use good quality.. :)

Quigley

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, Hat. So it's not the case that this new multifunction has different software? I asked because on this site the MX870 is mentioned not to work with the press and hold method for disabling ink monitoring.

About that I really need ink monitoring: I don't print that much and it's mostly black with some light colour usage. I'll just regularly check the levels visually (since the CLI-521 and PGI-520bk still have those transparent windows in them).

One thing I wonder too... is the prism method for checking the emptiness of the cartridge still working when the chip method is disabled? My old IP4000 relies solely on this method... I think it works great.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I went to your link and did a search on MX870 and found this:

"Please Note: This kit is not currently suitable for the MX870.

Please Note: When you refill this cartridge you will lose your ink status monitor. When you place your cartridge back into the printer you will get pop ups asking questions about using the cartridge again. Answer all questions until your cartridge is accepted. The cartridge will print fine but your ink level will not show a full cartridge. If your cartridge will not print, look for an orange blinking light on your printer and hold down for 5 seconds or until gone. (this is if you do not have a chip re-setter for the PGI-5BK & PGI-520)."

That sounds to me like they are saying if you don't have a chip resetter, you have to do the press and hold to disable the ink monitoring. Did you find something else to give you a different impression?

I don't know about the MX870 but on my MX700's, the prism doesn't seem to do anything and other people have confirmed that it doesn't do anything--at least nothing good. I covered up the light sensor for the prism just in case it is being used for something sinister like figuring out that you are refilling and causing premature failure of your printer (who knows?). However, now that you ask the question, I remember the last time I replaced a cartridge that had an empty reservoir with a full cartridge that had been reset, the printer did not automatically do a cleaning cycle. Maybe if I had not covered up the sensor it would have done the cleaning cycle. I'll have to remember to uncover it and see if that will change anything.

Quigley

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I went to your link and did a search on MX870 and found this:

"Please Note: This kit is not currently suitable for the MX870.

Please Note: When you refill this cartridge you will lose your ink status monitor. When you place your cartridge back into the printer you will get pop ups asking questions about using the cartridge again. Answer all questions until your cartridge is accepted. The cartridge will print fine but your ink level will not show a full cartridge. If your cartridge will not print, look for an orange blinking light on your printer and hold down for 5 seconds or until gone. (this is if you do not have a chip re-setter for the PGI-5BK & PGI-520)."

That sounds to me like they are saying if you don't have a chip resetter, you have to do the press and hold to disable the ink monitoring. Did you find something else to give you a different impression?
To me it looks like they found out that the new MX870 doesn't support disabling ink monitoring, but all other printers do. Why else would they specifically mention that printer? The MX860 uses the same cartridges. I sent them (from the aussie site) a mail to confirm it doesn't work on this particular model. It may be nice to know for everyone.

But as Hat says, resetting really works well, so I'll start looking for a chip resetter. I don't know yet where to get them and what they cost in my country. I hope they come cheap. Anything special to look out for or is any resetter for CLI-521 / PGI-520 ok?

ghwellsjr said:
I don't know about the MX870 but on my MX700's, the prism doesn't seem to do anything and other people have confirmed that it doesn't do anything--at least nothing good. I covered up the light sensor for the prism just in case it is being used for something sinister like figuring out that you are refilling and causing premature failure of your printer (who knows?). However, now that you ask the question, I remember the last time I replaced a cartridge that had an empty reservoir with a full cartridge that had been reset, the printer did not automatically do a cleaning cycle. Maybe if I had not covered up the sensor it would have done the cleaning cycle. I'll have to remember to uncover it and see if that will change anything.
What's the idea behind a cleaning cycle after a cartridge replacement anyway? My IP4300 only does a cleaning cycle if you haven't used it for a while. I just tested: taking one out and putting it in again does nothing. But then, this is with the chip monitoring deactivated.

Anyway, keep us updated, nice finding if that's true. We may all be starting to cover our sensors in the future. :)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Whenever you remove a cartridge and replace it or another cartridge, you have just introduced air into the ink flow path. Once this air hits the nozzles, they cease to work because the mechanism of ink ejection is by boiling the ink. Heating air does not eject anything or cause new ink to replace ejected ink.

It's not really called a cleaning cycle when the printer determines that you have replaced a cartridge. In this case it's called a purge cycle, implying that it is purging the ink path of air, but it is performed the same way, by sucking on the bottom of the print head.

Quigley

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Update on the MX870's ability to disable ink monitoring: it I just got word from that site. This wasn't the reason that this printer was listed as not suitable. It's about the plug to seal off the opening for vacuum filling: it was too close to the printer housing. Disabling ink monitoring is just as possible with this printer. So with the German durchstick method it should be fine as it doesn't have the opening on the top of the cartridge. Thus we can use either a chip resetter or disable ink monitoring. I just took the plunge and ordered the MX870 today!

Jim2611

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I hope I can get guidance. I've been able to refill my MX870 cartridges but I got all the dire warning messages about losing warranty and so on if damage occurred. The only way I can check levels is to pull out the cartridge and when I did that I ink leaked everywhere. I've seen chip resetters for other brand printers and they look mechanical with pins to push back things in the cartridge. The MX870 cartridges look like they need an electronic device to reset them. If someone can give me information on a suitable chip resetter I will be grateful.
Also, where do I find out about the German durshstick method of filling catridges. Jim Sydney Australia jmoshide@ozemail.com.au

Jim2611

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Pharmacist for the ink filling method! I know how to keep printing after refill but I would like to find out about cartridge chip resetting so I can see ink levels. Thanks again. Jim