Can I use my 3rd party cli-8 in place of cli-42?

nerdful1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My Canon Pixma Pro-100 sits in front of me. I take advice to not load the yellow cart till my Precision inks and yellow cartridge arrive. (not sure of yellow cart, order was cancelled and got a refund).

I have empty cli-8 oem carts, so not worried about yellow refurb cart out of stock.

Aren't cli-8 carts dye ink? Can't I put in my many on hand 3rd party cli-8 carts to test? Swapping the chips of course...

The cli-8 carts I use in my other Canon printers with no problems. From Amazon, a buck apiece, chipped (cli-8) and great reviews. I'll post details if any interest.

I plan on German refill, and have precision color ink experiences with my other printers that I can only say is great.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am a little bit unsure as to what exactly you’re getting from Amazon, are they empty OEM cartridges or compatibles cartridges with ink ?

You can use any OEM CLI-8 cartridge in place of your CLI-42’s but a yellow one is preferable because it would require less cleaning, and once you change the on board chip for a CLI-42 chip then the printer will accept that cartridges as a new CLI-42 cartridge, but remember to refill it first.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Some third party cartridges work well, others don't. But those that work well should not be refilled as third party cartridges often develop ink flow problems if refilled.

Third party cartridges that work well in a CLI-8 printer should also work well in the Pro 100 if you attach the proper CLI-42 chip to them, but colour match might be a problem.

nerdful1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I don't care about the color match until I get my Precision inks. Just didn't want to ruin it by using too thick, thin, pigment or something it would choke on.

I wonder if I should fill an oem yellow from my other dye ink sets, (HP C309a leftovers, Epson mp835 leftovers).

The Sophia BCI-6 ink carts from Amazon work great in my Canon S9000 and the cli-8 in my mp830.

No color cast with casual photos.

I have some oem cli-8 non-yellow empties in case I don't get one from Precision.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The refund was for the shipping on the cartridge purchased separately from the main order. The cartridge was shipped with the main order. No need to worry.

nerdful1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks! That is what I was hoping.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If the proper inks and cartridges are on their way, I suggest not to experiment with 3'rd party cartridges and inks for another printer.

Especially inks made for Epson printers should be avoided in a Canon or HP printer. Canon and HP use thermal print heads, so the ink must be heat resistant. Epson use piezo-electric print heads and the ink is ejected via a pumping action, so inks for Epson need not to be heat resistant.

nerdful1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yeah, i wouldn't use Epson, but maybe my cli-8 clone cart.