Blue light helps viewing yellow nozzle check

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have often had problems viewing the yellow print in an extended nozzle check, especially in artificial light with low content of blue light and high content of yellow light. It is somewhat easier to see in daylight. This is due to low contrast between yellow and the white paper, and maybe the fact that I am not a young boy anymore. I hope this will be helpful to other old boys.

I watched a HP DJ 930 perform a cartridge alignment and wondered why it turned on a blue light inside the printer. It prints a row of alternating black and yellow squares in the alignment. When I viewed the printout in blue light from an inexpensive blue LED keyring flash light the yellow squares turned dark grey and were much easier to see.

The flashlight and a magnifying glass makes the yellow pattern in an extended nozzle check much easier to see. Here are some pictures shot through the lens of a magnifier lamp. using an old handheld Olympus C350 Zoom camera. No flash was used of course, so pictures might be a bit blurred, but I hope you get the idea.

Connoisseurs of antique Canon printers might recognise the nozzle check from a Smart Base MPC 190. I could also have used the extended nozzle check from a Pixma 4000, but I found this printout to be better for illustrating purposes.

This is daylight view:

6881_nozzle_check_daylight.jpg

This is viewed in artificial light, using the CFL in the magnifier lamp, note yellow is almost invisible:

6881_nozzle_check_cfl_lighting.jpg

This is viewed using the blue LED flashlight, note yellow is now clearly visible and cyan has almost disappeared:

6881_nozzle_check_blueled.jpg

Last edited:

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ,

Thanks for the tip about reading yellow grids on extended nozzle check printouts. I'll give it a try.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
That's a really great idea. I don't happen to have a blue light but I do have one of those cheap 3-D glasses with a blue and red filter in it and looking through the blue filter helps me see the yellow nozzle check better.

Some of the newer Canon printers actually deposit both cyan and yellow ink during the yellow nozzle check, apparently for this same reason.

Thanks for the idea.