Best cartridges Pixma Ip5000?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Belen, a quick comment: Be aware that I've had issues with ink/air flow in my alotoftings cartridges. Do a search for alotoftings and you'll see my posts.

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
These Calibration gadgets are overrated and are not what they are made out to be. I own SpyderPro2 and others. They are good for calibrating your monitor, but when it come to the printer they are a joke.

There are some very expensive ones, that are good, but they run in the thousands of dollars.

A 5 color printer like the ip5000 can be calibrated by the human eye very well, the problem arises when you try to calibrate a 6 or more color printer, due to the sometimes incomparability of the photo and regular cyan and magenta.

Try adjusting the color from the printer driver, I think you can get good results.

Just remember the following:

Red eliminates Cyan
Cyan eliminates Red
Blue eliminates Yellow
Yellow eliminates Blue
Green eliminates Magenta
Magenta eliminates Green

So by adding or subtracting a particular color, one can get a good balance.

Good luck

Robert

bmht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Administrator (gulp) ;) I don't know your name hehehe

Thank you for pointing out that about air flow. I need to look then further into that.
Like I said, I'm not a fan of refilling, and among this posts, also the people at Inkgrabber, managed to tell me they can accept paypal as a method of payment for their cartridges, wich will fit me.

I think I'll hold the refilling a bit more, and stick to this cartridges for the time being. Is not that I mass print, just regular photos I do, and to be honest I would like to put more mileage onto my pixma, before putting it at risk with ink dropping into it because I poorly refilled a cartridge, like it happened with my Hp in the past, what a mess!.

I don't know if this idea has come to any of you to make plugs with screws to obtain a sealed plug, but it occurred to my on my way to work from lunch. Have any of you ever tryed screws with teflon tape? the one used on plumbing to make a pipe connection not leak? Might worth a shot if you have not...

Robert

Thank you again, really I appreciate your input on this thread.
I was thinking the same as you on the calibration thing. Right now I can not afford it, and I'm getting terrific prints (to my eye anyway) from my printer with the canon cartridges. So far I have printed about 20 8.5*11 pages, but I have been cheap on what I print. This is why I came over here over the recomendation at the people at dpreview, so I can print "cheaper" in cost and more since it's cheaper.

Like you said, adding or substracting a color just might have to do to my method of calibration by the time being... later who knows?

I'm very thankful to you guys for your prompt replies on this thread. When I get the cartridges I will put on here my results for people to see it. I still don't know if it would be do any good, since I said they are not going to be calibrated devices. But still is worth a shot.

Crossing my fingers now....

Belen

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
bmht and RC

You might want to read some of the posts in the Printing Photo and Photo Software section of this fourm, there is a lot of information on profiling printer/inks/papers. There is even some profiles provided by Grandad35 for certian printer/paper combinations.
There is also some information on a profiling program called Profile Prism, which is great for a person that is experimenting with ink/paper/printer profiles. It is also the least expensive of the profiling software anywhere and it does a great job.

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
First to Bolen:

I have tried the screws with a rubber washer and they work great, it becomes messy during refills. The rubber plugs I suggested are great. They dont create a mess and I have never had a leak, I have refilled hundreds of times. I had some problems with plastic plug, but not these. I believe that if you try refilling with what I suggested you will be pleased. I hope you are able to find the materials you are looking for. As for the ip5000, I have owned for over a year and I have had no problems at all. The prints are the sharpest of all Canon printers.

Now to Tyamada:

I have a collection of about 800 printer profiles, and I can recreate just about any color correction I want. I find that it is easier to balance the ink than to create profiles. For example, if I am printing from Photoshop or InDesign, using a profile is no hassle, but if I am using a word processor with text and graphics, it is easier to use the default profile.

I find Canon printers to be superb and economical, what bugs me about canon is that they do not give you great flexibility in correcting the color balance from the printer driver.

For example: I owned the first HP PhotoSmart printer issued. The driver for that printer allowed you to print a test sheet with many color variations, you picked the best one out of all, and the driver made the corrections for all future prints. If at sometime in the future you found a color shift, you repeated the process and that was it.

I guess that these companies do not want to give you this option anymore, because they want you to use their ink, after all that is where they are able to rip us off.

Maybe someone should come up with a universal driver, that could be used with any printer, or maybe it already exist, that would be great.

And finally I want to thank you for your suggestion. By us sticking together and trading ideas, maybe we can beat them at their own game.

Robert

bmht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi tyamada

Yes I know about profile prism, and I might get it, but first I need a calibrated monitor, and for that I need also another device. So the cheapest for me would be around $180 for both, and right now I can't afford them. Like I said I'm having really good results by the time being with my pixma, although yesterday I printed a black and white photo, and even though I checkmarked only use gray (or whatever that was in the options), still I could detect a light magenta tone :(.

I saw the list profiles, and the combination I got is not there so either I ask someone or I do it myself when I can afford it.

Hi again Robert

You are REALLY making me think about refilling again, but I just purchased a set of cartridges from inkgrabber, so I have to wait until all are used.

Maybe around august I'll but the necesary gadgets I need to calibrate both my printer and monitor. Right now I'm still paying for some lenses ;).

Robert if you don't mind me asking, and if you can... Since you use the same paper I own, and you also got a pixma and I believe ink or cartridges from inkgrabber maybe? <-I don't know about that. Can you do a profile for me with that combination? I would really appreciate it if you can :).

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
bmht:

I never bought anything to calibrate my monitor, I first used Adobe's Gamma program, it worked for me, however, Profile Prism comes with a gamma program that doesn't change your monitor profile. It loads the gamma adjustment when Windows is started.
My prints are so close to what is on the screen I don't want to do any more adjusting, I might mess everything up.

What you might want to try this little utiliity to adjust your monitor.
http://www.ltlimagery.com/monitor_calibration.html#normankoren

bmht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tyamada

I will try it! Will post the results tomorrow since right now I'm at work

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Belen:

I have Inkgrabber cartridges, but they are the old ones and I believe that they changed their ink. If you want I can run a test but I dont think the results will be the same, assuming they changed the ink they use.

I also believe that Sansient/Formulabs has a South America distributors, you should check the web-site I posted.

Robert

bmht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Robert

I don't think the profile would work since yes, they changed the formula. Thanks anyway. When I but profile prism maybe I can send you one ;).

On the other hand yes I did looked at the page, but the phone that appears there for my country is for flavors not ink, and believe me from experience this guys charge you and arm and a leg when you want to buy. So is cheaper for me to buy the ink in USA and bring it here, if they ever got it.

I think I'l wait a couple of months to buy ink, still paying those lenses haha. On the other hand I got a question for you...

My black and white prints came out with a magenta cast. To compensate that I should add green right? but I don't got green in my settings I got only C M Y, so it would be the same as adding cyan and yellow? It might seem a dumb question but I'm new at this and I don't want to empty my originals just runing tests.

Thank you again!