Arggggh: auto-reset chips driving me mad !!!

Apostolos

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
1500w, M2170, G5040, X464
Which is the best solution then?
A second set of cartridges or a resetter? I 'm confussed.
The pharmasist wrote to me in another thread to buy a second set, just two days ago, but i read now that he uses a resetter. :confused:

And another question. Say that i buy a second set of cartridges, and when a color is empty i put the second set in. Ok so far? What happends to the first set? I just keep them out of the printer half full until a cartridge of the second set is empty? That could take days, or weeks. Doesn't that affect the ink in the first set that will not be used for 10-20 days?
And as we all know pigment ink dries out a bit easier than dye ink.

Is there something i'm not getting? What is the proper procedure? Explain it to me like i'm a 10 year old.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
You refill the removed cartridges, reset and store them meanwhile in some sort of airtight container (like Tupperware). When one the cartridges is registered empty, remove the whole set and replace it with the reset and stored cartridges in your Tupperware box.

Apostolos

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hmmm...
Even if it takes 2-3 weeks between the changes? Will the cartridges be ok in the tuperware? By your experience, how long can they stay in there with no problem?

And what about the resetter? Isn't it a better solution?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
As a Tupperware box is airtight, it can be kept for months. Never had I any problems with it. The resetter you will need to reset all the cartridges back to 100% including those at maybe 50 or 30 % full. You want to start with a full set at 100%. So you need 2 sets of catridges AND resetter, remember my example of continuously resetting because installing a new cartridge will render a cleaning cycle, so the printhead is primed, but it drains ink like crazy.

Apostolos

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ok, but i don't get why the 2 sets of cartridges.
Lets say i have one set and i run out of yellow, while the other colors are at 20% and 45% and 60% or whatever percentage. If i pull them all out, refill all of them the amount of ink needed to be all 6 of them to 100% and reset them with a resetter and place them back in, will it not be the same?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yup, it is the same, but you will be off printing for about 20-30 minutes, hence my method using 2 sets of cartridges, so you can start printing immediately after exchanging your cartridges. You ask for a feasible alternative to a CISS, well using 2 sets of cartridges is as convenient in time as a CISS, otherwise you will have to take your time for refilling, cleaning needles, resetting....

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Which is the best solution then?
A second set of cartridges or a resetter? I 'm confussed.
You have to try yourself ... perhaps swapping the hole set does work..

With MY printer and refillables the auto reset chips refused to change status (usuallly by pulling out and putting in) - until the printer had requested a new cart.
But other printers / refillables / auto reset chips may behave different..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Readers be aware that there exists two or more families of autoreset chips. The methodology of how they work are totally different.
For North American users, up to V6.0 of the T079xxx, an external resetter could be used. This included the SP1400. Thereafter, there appeared the Artisan 1430 to replace the SP1400. The first batches of Artisan 1430s were OK with the V6.0 chips. Then Epson changed the firmware and the V6.0 chips were no longer stable. The solution was the V6.12 chips. These operate on a totally different basis compared to the V6.0. The V6.0 could replace each OEM cartridge as it emptied and existed on its own. On the V6.12, they now operated on a master slave relationship. The Black chip is the master chip and the other 5 chips are slaves ( and are identical). So the master on the black channel does a lot of work. Various further small changes required that the chips be revised and is now up to V6.3. These master slave chips as you can figure out will not work with the external resetters....for obvious reasons. These master slave chips require a complete swapout. What if you mixed? I've tried it and the results are totally unpredictable. Sometimes it works but the ink levels are wrong!

The Artisan 50 can still run on the V6.0 chips as it was not in Epson's "focus" to meddle with that model since it is not a high volume item. On the 1430 where a lot more ink was to be used , Epson put some effort in.

The independent standing vs. master slave situation also existed way back since the R200 (10 years? now) days but lost its popularity.
If a channel has a non recognition reading, it could be the slave or it could be the master. You cannot determine which is the problem except through trial and error. So for example, if you're having a problem with Cyan...it could be the black channel master chip at fault.

Last edited:

Apostolos

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yup, it is the same, but you will be off printing for about 20-30 minutes, hence my method using 2 sets of cartridges, so you can start printing immediately after exchanging your cartridges. You ask for a feasible alternative to a CISS, well using 2 sets of cartridges is as convenient in time as a CISS, otherwise you will have to take your time for refilling, cleaning needles, resetting....

So it deppends on the duty cycle of the printer each time. For the time being i have no need for a second set. When it comes to that i'll just buy one more.

I am in need though for a resetter. Will the one few posts back, from ebay, be ok for the 1500w. I would rather not to order from Germany but from U.K. The postage from Germany is 5 times more than the UK. I don't get why, but it's a reality for all products, making buying from ebay.de, uneconomic.

Another question. Should i install a waste tank or is it too much? Any other suggestion about the disposal of ink?