ARC for Canon IP4700

photohoho

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm looking for ARC'd refillable cartridges for My Canon IP4700 (don't fancy drilling holes in the originals).

I've found some on eBay that state they are PGI-520 and CLI-521 and, as non of the sellers specifically mention the IP4700, I messaged two sellers.
The first seller said his are IP4700-compatible and the second said his aren't. This seems a bit odd - I was expecting the same answer from both as each specifically state in their listings that they are IP4600 compatible; meaning (if the sellers are right) that there is an ARC available that is both IP4600 and IP4700 compatible, and one that is just for the IP4600.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
photohoho (don't fancy drilling holes in the originals).
Why dont you fancy drilling holes in your cartridges?

Why not try it and see how easy it is, I can guarantee youll be surprised
by the pleasure you get from just refill your own cartridges.

Keep clear of compatibles therere a disaster waiting to happen in most cases and especially
when the seller cant even tell the difference between the two cartridge chips (there the same).

My advice is stay with your OEM cartridges get a resetter and a refill kit from some of the good ink suppliers
mentioned on this forum and youll have trouble free printing with reliability second to none..:)

photohoho

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
OK, I think I might give that a go. I've looked at the Pharmacist's German method and that looks relatively straightforward. Am I right in thinking that the drilled hole does not need sealing? Also, do you know if that method works with the cartridges supplied with the printer (which I know are often not as full as a newly purchased cartridge, but am unsure of any other differences)?

Thanks for your help!

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I followed the advice found on this forum for my first refill last month & as Hat said drilling a cartridge is really a non event. I used the top fill method for my Cli 6 cartridges in my IP5000 & the German method in my Cli 8 cartridges on my pro9000 & both methods worked very well. For the resealing plugs I received with my Precision Colors refill kit I had to drill the original Canon top plug hole out to 5/32" so the plugs would fit snugly & they are as good as new. The cartridges in my ip5000 & pro9000 I think had the full compliment of ink in the cartridges when new. I have no knowledge of ARC'd refillable cartridges.
Some do not bother to reseal the hole made for the German method & others do use a good quality tape to cover it. I didn't cover the hole at first & it worked just fine but now I do tape it up just as a security blanket.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
photohoho said:
OK, I think I might give that a go. I've looked at the Pharmacist's German method and that looks relatively straightforward. Am I right in thinking that the drilled hole does not need sealing? Also, do you know if that method works with the cartridges supplied with the printer (which I know are often not as full as a newly purchased cartridge, but am unsure of any other differences)?

Thanks for your help!
The Durchstich/German method was introduced to the forum by Defcon2k. Pharmacist has a great tutorial.

The Durchstich refill hole does not need to be sealed. Some users do seal the hole with tape, HVAC/Aluminum tape being a pricey favorite because it does not leave a residue. Any quality tape that holds a seal will work, though. FYI - make the refill hole just big enough to insert your needle but not much bigger. I use a push pin - others use sewing needles heated up or a tiny, tiny drill bit (DON"T DRILL INTO THE SPONGE!!!).

Canon supplies fully filled cartridges with their inkjet printers, AFAIK. The cartridges that came with the printer are what most use. In order to make life easier for refilling, the spongeless side of the cartridge must be at least partially translucent/clear in order to see ink level during refilling. Newer cartridge models are completely opaque and complicate refilling. Overfilling the cartridge will cause leaking, which eventually equilibrates but wastes ink and may cause a mess, especially if you put an over-filled cartridge back into the print head before you see it doesn't drip from any holes.

Hope I didn't rain on yer parade, The Hat. :p

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
It's always raining in Ireland so Hats would be used to it I think:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
rodbam said:
For the resealing plugs I received with my Precision Colors refill kit I had to drill the original Canon top plug hole out to 5/32" so the plugs would fit snugly & they are as good as new.
It does my Yank heart good to see you using the imperial measurement system from Down Under. It's the first time I've understood a word you've said! :lol:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
rodbam said:
It's always raining in Ireland so Hats would be used to it I think:)
Are we sure it was just the rain that made his noggin soggy? :lol:

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
It does my Yank heart good to see you using the imperial measurement system from Down Under. It's the first time I've understood a word you've said! lo
I just copied the 5/32" from Image Colors instruction sheet & just picked out a metric drill that looked close enough:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
rodbam said:
It does my Yank heart good to see you using the imperial measurement system from Down Under. It's the first time I've understood a word you've said! lo
I just copied the 5/32" from Image Colors instruction sheet & just picked out a metric drill that looked close enough:)
Wha? I don't understand you. :p