Anyone know anything about a Pixma ip1200 (4 or 5 yrs old, I think)?

Crimea

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just been offered an ip1200 for a few pounds and wondered if it would be advisable to snap it up, purely as an emergency printer?

The reviews don't seem too kind and it uses 3 ink colours, not even the usual 4, spread across the two cartridges.

The two ink cartridges are PG-40 and PG-50.

Is a resetter needed?

Thanks.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
My first printer was an HP that used two cartridges like this printer and I had a lot of trouble trying to refill the color cartridges. I got cyan into the yellow and gave up. That's when I found out about printers that have individual cartridges for each color. I wouldn't take one of these printers even if it was free.

ian

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The PG-40 CL-41 50-51 cartridges do not have a chip to reset but you will have to reset the print count. The printer rights directly to the print head. You can fill them no problem but you will have to drill a small fill hole in top of the cartridges. You might want to get a hair dryer to soften the sticker so it peels off easy. You just have to remember that the color cartridge has different color possession than the other color cartridges. looking at the top of the cartridge you will see 3 very small air holes. Get your drill and drill these holes out just big enough to fit your needle in. Looking at the top of the cartridge the right side hole is for the yellow the middle is for the red and the left side is blue.

To reset the print count follow these instructions

1. Download software for Canon iP1200, iP1600, 2200 Printers. HERE
2. Unzip downloaded file by WinZip, 7Zip, Izarc, etc
3. Run GeneralTool.exe
4. Select the connected USB port number from USB PORT
5. Click LOCK RELEASE, and select the applicable model name in SET DESTINATION
6. In CLEAR WASTE INK COUNTER, select MAIN or PLATEN. The selected waste ink counter will be reset. MAIN resets the main waste ink counter, PLATEN resets the platen waste ink counter.

If both the main and platen waste ink absorbers are replaced, reset both the main and platen waste ink counters.

You do not need to vacuum fill these cartridges if you do not run them completely empty, fill them when they get to 3/4 empty and you will have no problems

Hope this helps

Crimea

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies.

I think I made a few errors:

PG-40 and PG-50 both seem to be 'black ink' cartridges and the colour one is CL-41.

The reason reviews mention it only uses 3 inks is that the 'black' one isn't standard, but can be added, if needed. The 3 colours are as normal: cyan, magenta and yellow.

I might just buy it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Crimea..

ghwellsjr wrote:- " I wouldn't take one of these printers even if it was free. "

I think he's trying to tell you something and I suggest you listen to his advice, hes seldom ever wrong.
You may also have problems getting replacement cartridges for that old model.. :|