Anyone have experience with CLI-8 inks and Epson Photo Paper?

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've been getting bits of evidence that I'm having a problem using Epson Photo Paper with my new Canon Pro9000 Mark II. I made a set of media tests and decided that using Photo Paper Pro II in the Canon media setting produced the best looking output, but when I did a "no color adjust" RAW print of color targets using that setting - to use to create a profile - it appears the output shows a histogram that is weighted heavily in the dark region. Grandad35 was kind enough to help me and run some comparison targets and confirmed that mine are too dark.

I have a bunch of data, but before I start posting it all I was looking to see if anyone else has any firsthand experience with these inks and this paper. Thanks.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Did you try the setting: glossy photo paper extra, instead of Photo Paper Pro II setting ? I had much beter results with my previous Canon i9950 printer with this setting than with the Photo Paper Pro setting.

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Did you try the setting: glossy photo paper extra, instead of Photo Paper Pro II setting ? I had much beter results with my previous Canon i9950 printer with this setting than with the Photo Paper Pro setting.
I did run the Spyder3Print Media Test prints including the GPP setting, but for whatever reason the media setting image looked best to me with PPPII. I did not run a histogram on any of the Media test images, though. I think I still have them; maybe I should give that a try.

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Okay, I scanned the original Media Test images printed from the Spyder3Print Media Check function. I have a calibrated Epson 1640SU flatbed scanner, using Vuescan Pro and a proper IT8 image with its calibration data. Test images were printed with No color management in the Canon driver.

Photo Paper Pro II (PPPII) is included. You can see the histogram compared to the others. Other Photo Paper seems to have the best balance through the center of the histogram, but it seems to have a compressed range. This is Epson Photo Paper printed using, in order, the following Media settings: Matt Photo (I was just curious about this one), High Res, Other Photo, Fine Art Photo Rag (again, curious), Photo Paper Pro II, Photo Paper Plus Glossy II, GlossyPhoto, Photo Paper Pro Platinum. As I said above, I hadn't actually scanned these originally, but picked PPPII because that one looked the best per Datacolor's instructions for how to pick the best test image.

6487_mpp.jpg

6487_hrp.jpg

6487_opp.jpg

6487_fapr.jpg

6487_pppii.jpg

6487_pppgii.jpg

6487_gpp.jpg

6487_pppp.jpg