Any interest in a simple Photo thread?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Everybody uses 'freezing' to denote uncomfortably cold conditions whether it is really below 0C or not. Why the fuss?

upload_2016-6-2_19-38-55.png

Not one of my photos! Just borrowed.

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@3dogs I was awaiting your comment about the picture above. Is it the old disused railway station?

I also note that eastern Australia has had a major storm on the coast, did it affect you inland?

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
@3dogs I was awaiting your comment about the picture above. Is it the old disused railway station?

I also note that eastern Australia has had a major storm on the coast, did it affect you inland?

Sorry about that. It has the look of buildings seen here the verandah is seen often, as is that roof configuration........where was it taken.

We have steady but light misty rain with little or no wind. The East coast has been pounded by wind, rain and King tides. As I type this our ABC is putting to air todays carnage, few lives have been lost......still getting fools trying to get through water only an utter moron would attempt....There is vision of rivers tan in colour and totally destructive in its behaviour in steep ravines and vast lakes of flooded farm land.
The stock losses will be catastrophic, Insurance will be problematic, Companies are trying to define the damage as flood damage, not covered, pollies are calling it storm damage and that IS.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Sorry about that. It has the look of buildings seen here the verandah is seen often, as is that roof configuration........where was it taken.

Supposedly, just down the road where the rail track used to be, then it became a hotel. (That is if I am viewing the right location, there seem to be several by the same name, in Victoria.)

Shankar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WorkForce 845
I like this photo.
How one gets such strong/vivid colors, I wonder.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Supposedly, just down the road where the rail track used to be, then it became a hotel. (That is if I am viewing the right location, there seem to be several by the same name, in Victoria.)
I am near Tylden - which is on the Daylesford - Woodend Road. There is a disused rail spur was used by the charcoal burners in years gone by. Tracks are gone but the cuttings and embankments remain.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess that if you double the exposure time you close the iris one step to avoid overexposure, so the total amount reaching the sensor is the same, or you might reduce the ISO setting?

I remember something similar from the days of silver photography. But IIRC this worked the other way around, a short exposure time gave more bright colours. Maybe this was the Schwarzchild Effect? I didn't know that this or something similar also affected digital image sensors.

Many years ago the 35mm colour slide film preferred by my family was Agfacolor CT18. We found it produced nice, warm colours and greens in landscape photos were also very nice. We found that a Kodachrome colour slide film produced much "colder" and more blueish pictures. Now many years later I have learned a little more about colours, and I think that the Kodachrome slides probably had more true colours.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I saved a view of the area, as below. The old station image is at Fern Hill. It is surprising the number of place names that are the same as in England, or perhaps it is not surprising! :)

3dogsview.jpg