Am I screwed - New Epson automatically updated firmware at install?

phkhgh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Reading some older posts (which might need to be made permanent warnings at top of forums) on Epson firmware updates blocking aftermarket carts.

Just bought a WF 3540 late Mar, 2013. Downloaded software / driver pkg to get latest ver.

Installed software, thought it was done & it suddenly "announced" on my monitor, "now checking for firmware updates." Huh?!? No warning before, no option to accept / decline, nor a way to stop action. I didn't tell it to update anything, esp. firmware. Don't believe there was option in THIS installer to allow auto updates or opt out. It finished firmware update very fast (or just didn't find any newer - dunno).

What now? Will it be impossible to use refillable carts?

IF there's no way to get around it blocking refillable carts - which I'll probably use, or a way to revert to earlier firmware, I could take the unit back & get another. Hopefully, there's some way to stop / opt out of auto firmware updates during installation. Best I remember, was NO "custom installation" option, to select / decline what to install??

On very latest models, how do you stop auto updates / firmware checks, when installer doesn't give options? I could've disconnected internet, but probably would've had issues setting up wireless connection.
If I'd known about this, could've blocked printer w/ KIS firewall.
Thanks.

If you uncheck the ONLY option on install screen, it disables install button. So, appears to be no custom installation w/ this software.
2gt6lv8.jpg

phkhgh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Has anyone using compatible / refillable carts, done firmware / software updates on Epsons recently? How recently & which models?

Did it cause any problems? Thanks.

glassguy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
While I am new to this, I have used refillables on my Pro 4000, and my artisan 725 (both inkowl carts and inks) and they work great. I just received my R3ooo printer and have been waiting for carts and inks for it to arrive from inkowl so I can start right off with the refillable carts. Neither of my printers have asked me to "update" I am a bit leary reading the reports on here about this.... I suspect Epson would put it right in the cd with drivers???.... (or am I missing something?) I will be watching this close as I really hope to be able to use the refillables and this would be a problem if you had to update "just because". I do however find Epson's plan to kill a printer with "service needed" programming when they get overstocked. Then to not have parts for them anymore!! (another whole subject...) Anyway, hoping to hear from more knowledgeable folks out there on the "chip" issue. Take care

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The answer to this almost compulsory firmware upgrade is not be online when installing your software,
that way there would be no need to worry whatsoever..:)

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
When installing

1. disconnect the internet connection.
2. Use some sort of firewall application.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I installed a club owned R2880 a year ago with the internet connected. I installed the software and driver came in the CD. Afterwards, there were from time to time messages apparently from Epson offering firmware updates for the printer. I believe when I installed the printer I had the automatic update of firmware disabled.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I have a R340 / R380 / Artisan 720 / Two 1400s / Two R1900 / a R2000 / a R2400 / R2880 and Two PRO 3800 which I installed while on the internet with the newest Drivers from Epson, and have NEVER gotten any such notice to upgraded anything. I am running 3rd party refillables and or refilling OEM ( the ones that are able to be refilled ) without a single recognition problem.
Maybe this is something inherent of the R3000 as none of my printers have behaved in this way.

Not counting any of my Canon which have also never asked to have anything upgraded.

Hope this info helps out.
Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
jtoolman, I was not aware of this until someone pointed me to this and then the next 837/730 I installed, indeed it was there and appears to be an addition. It can be switched off in the driver and it does allow the option through a dialogue at install. maybe updates drivers have this option. Despite this, I tested shipping chips with the updates and it everything was still a go as long as the chips are current. If your set is currently working...and nothing is causing a problem, do not update. If you had updated, then don't worry too much about it. Proper chips are as of today still functional. ..but do not update any more in the future.

I discovered that there exists at least three versions of chips that can work on the Artisan AIO series. There are two versions of programming that are labelled as being the same externally BUT the programming actually differs internally. One set fully emulates the OEM with manual reset capability and is ideal on earlier versions of Artisans but is not compatible with the latest Artisan AIO. The other, labelled identically externally is a later revision that is NOT externally resettable but is compatible with the latest Artisans. You cannot tell what you have unless it is tested to determine how it behaves. Both of the previous can be mixed with the OEM. The final and newest version is the most Epson attack resistant but they cannot be mixed with remaining cartridges and are actually a throwback to the really old Epson chips where the black is a unique master chip and the other 5 colors are simply the same chips and perform a slave relationship to the black chip. You HAVE to be careful when inserting these especially on an Artisan because if you put the cartridge in the wrong slot, it will still work but you won't know you made the mistake till possibly weeks or days later.

troy14

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just installed a new WF-3540 printer, and while the option to upgrade the firmware came up, I was able to hit Accept or Decline, it did not update automatically.

Now, I am using a Mac so that might be a difference. But I have never heard of a company automatically installing firmware updates without asking for permission, that is a big no no it seems to me. Maybe you accidentally hit accept without realizing it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
troy14 said:
I just installed a new WF-3540 printer, and while the option to upgrade the firmware came up, I was able to hit Accept or Decline, it did not update automatically.

Now, I am using a Mac so that might be a difference. But I have never heard of a company automatically installing firmware updates without asking for permission, that is a big no no it seems to me. Maybe you accidentally hit accept without realizing it.
You dont get that option when installing a new Canon print driver.

If youre on line when installing a Canon printer it will automatically do any or all upgrades
to any other Canon printer driver it finds on your system and that includes firmware
if those other printers are currently powered on at the time of installation.

I have just installed an iP7250 on my laptop and it would not install the print driver till it had direct access to the internet,
its the main reason why its on the laptop and not on my desk top..:(