aftermarket canon PGI-225 and Cli-226 cartridges

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
I was unable to keep my MX860 alive and so am now the owner of an MX892. That means I am using the Canon pgi-225 and CLI-226 cartridges.

In the past there has always been the recommendation to only refill OEM Canon cartridges, but with the opaque material of these cartridges I have to wonder when someone will produce transparent cartridges that meet the Canon standards (or at least are close). I see Sophia Global has Compatible Ink Cartridge Replacement cartridges, are there any more. Any opinions?

I'm hoping this subject will receive some feedback from others. I am sure entrepreneurial efforts have some working on it.

Regards,

Tom C

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Take the carts from the 860 and use them on the 892 but just swap the chips. Problem solved.
The problem with aftermarket carts for Canon is that they don't join the walls properly. Many of them eventually leak air and the internal wall separating the tank and sponge is the key culprit.

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
So, the supply of ink and carts I've collected aren't wasted. Jeez, if Canon had told me that I would have bought the new printer sooner. And I was ready to give the whole shebang away to anyone with skills beyond my mechanical tool set.

Thanks InkJet Master. You are the Master.

Best regards,

Tom C

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
I have now refilled several carts for my new Canon MX892 (PGI225 and several of the 226s). So far I've refilled the original and weighed the carts. One thing found is the printer provides less clearance compared to my old MX 862, so plugs need to be thinner.

In addition, I just drilled the original PGI-226 to refill by following the instruction provided with the ink, except I used a smaller drill than suggested with the expectation to use a bigger one as needed. The plastic must be softer because after cleaning out around the hole made the plug was too loose, and I now have the plug in but covered with electrical tape to hold it in place (hopefully tight enough).

I am planning to transfer chips onto my old 221 carts but will have to watch the clearance. Very clever these Canon people.

I like Canon printers, but I don't like Canon. I suspect my next printer will not be a Canon.

Needless to say, I'm going to try some aftermarket carts and see how refilling those goes. Heck, Canon is doing enough to make a mess of my new printer, I may as well try someone else.

Regards,

Tom C

PS I have the printhead for the MX 862 and it's available for someone for shipping. (It's used and I've tried to clean it up. A new user would probably be well advised to clean it up, but it's worked well for me.) Maybe we need a page with comments on different suppliers cartridges.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
I use Martin's lipped plugs, but with the skirt cut. This way you get a low profile plug 4mm diameter (tapering to 2mm) / 7mm depth

CLI-521 with the modified plug (flush with the top of the cartridge):

There is no need for aluminium tape or hot glue, just plug&play. ;)

You can take the plug out with a blunt needle.

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Tudor said:
....There is no need for aluminium tape or hot glue, just plug&play. ;) ....
I do recommend the aluminium tape. It's little work and better safe than sorry.

Martin is Octoinkjet? I use these plugs as well. They do not stick out of the cartridge, so no clearance problems.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
MP640:
Yes, Martin(WebSnail) owns Octoinkjet and I think you are talking about the low profile plugs (3). Those do, indeed, need aluminium tape or hot glue. But if you don't have a clearance problem, and you use lipped plugs (1), you can leave them as they are. More so if you cut the skirt (2) and push them further in the original refill hole. Adding aluminium tape doesn't hurt, but it is not needed in case 1 and 2. :)

<-- click me!

Oh, I almost forgot... You can find empty OEM CLI-526, PGI-525 (with chips) on OctoInkjet.