Advice for pixma MP990

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I received and installed it but it's too early to say if it's ok or not.

Until now there is no air in the silicone tubings and it's printing ok but I don't print loads of pics, maybe 30 photo's a week

you might also consider a chip resetter and use your original carts which is a cheaper way if you don't do a lot of printing

P.S. I installed the CISS on an MP980 and not on MP990 as mentioned on the name of this topic (I don't know if it's different)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
SpideRMaN
if you run your canon printer on a ciss system you might find occasionally a slight banding on the end on your photos as I did with some of mine. If the tubing is touching the lid it may be causing the problem by jolting the movement of the print head on its travels. (Its only a guess) Since I kept the lid slightly open on most of my canon printers I havent had any trouble with quality since and as you asked earlier its not as noisy ..

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Yes it's true,

one has to be very carful during the installation. I received installation instructions from rihac specifically for the mp980 and followed them very carfully.

In the case of the MP980 I was forced to leave the top cover open (scanner) for the tubing exit. haven't experieced any banding yet but a lot of people on the net suffered from it (maybe the tubing installation is a very important factor)

To be honest and because I don't print a lot I prefere to refil the original carts (and keep the top cover closed) especially now that I got the resetter and waiting for the squezzy bottles which should be in the post

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
SpideRMaN
I use cityink express to get my ciss from and they import from China so there instruction all dough good there English is not great to honest, so you have to improvise and experiment with different positions for the tubing as I dont like the idea of cuttings holes in the printers. I do have an i865 that uses canon cartridges refilled gods knows how many times for prints off the web. The bulk ink is not bad at all its about 5% less quality than canon ink so I use it in nearly all my printers..

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The Hat

Do you have or ever installed any CISS on a canon AIO printer ? if yes how were the results ?

I don't like the CISS very much on the MP980 but if one prints a lot then a CISS is a must cos the carts are very small and the printer consumes a lot of ink (really a lot)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Nope sorry SpideRMaN I havent .
I used the ciss on the i9950 first and fell in love with it.
Yes there are problems installing it, but when it works right its beautiful.. That way I have 4 of them installed..

kerman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Which is the cover or lid it must be left open for tubing? you mean the front cover where you insert the cd tray for print, or the top lid you need to open up to replace empty cartridges??

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
It is the top lid including the scanner mechanism (for 1 inch looking at it from the front)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Kerman
You only keep the lid open while printing otherwise leave it closed.
I leave mine half open that way it's easier to refill the feed tray.
Anyway it's not necessary when running text and pics on plain paper, (only when you need top quality prints)..

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
@ The Hat

you cannot keep the lid closed when installing CISS on MP980 or 990