A very simple cartridge question.

Andrew1937

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm 99% knowing what the answer is but I'm not 100% sure. Question: Are damper carts, ink jet carts without the sponge in it?

I know it's a simple question but thank you for the answer
Andrew

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
If you mean Damper Carts which operate with a Chip Bar for Epson Printers, then the answer is yes. No sponge. As Epson carts do not use sponges.
If you are reffering to Canons, the NO there are no "Damper" carts for Canons. They do sell remanufactured 3rd party carts for Canons and yes they do haqve sponges. Thought you'd be 100% better off by refilling your own Canon carts if that is the case.

You did not mention what printer you were asking about.

Andrew1937

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was just wondering for inkjet cartridges in general. So actually there are a couple answers to my initial question and basically what make printer (Epson or Canon) somewhat determines the answer to the question.

Thank you
Andrew

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I'm not even sure whether there's actually a difference. A long time ago I remember only seeing the word "damper" used when referring to a CIS, where a "damper" was the "much smaller than a regular cart" piece put in place of a cartridge - there was no reason to use a full sized cart, smaller "dampers" were less likely to lose ink flow anyway.

Now it seems that a lot of vendors are using "dampers" for regular refillable cartridges to make it sound "more exotic" than everyone else's regular cartridges.

The t-shirt industry seems to call any Epson cartridge whether CIS or regular a "damper" and the parking pad is a "capping station".

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The term Damper in todays ink/cart jargon beasically means that it is just a recetacle for ink without a chip. As it the case of most CIS and or the kind that use a solid separate chip bar. You can use ANY damper for any ink color as the indentification is done by the chip for that particular color.

Fenrir Enterprises: you have not had good luck with them but as I posted on another thread I use them on three printers. 2 Epson 1400 and one Artisan 725. No leaks as you have described. There can always be a bad lot of dampers or carts for than manner. Never has the plastic side shield leaked, come loose or anything os the sort. I did have one instance of one of the O ring flip top refill lids not seal properly and one of the colors did leak out. I talked to the seller and he sent me a replacement and all has been fine since then.

To Andrew1937: Refillables for Epsons - No Sponge. Refillables for Canons - Have sponges but OEM carts should be used for refilling.
Dampers are almost universally used for Epson printers and they do not ever use sponges.

Andrew1937

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Apparently there are a couple of different interpretations of what a damper cart is. I e-mailed Russ Hardie (Inkjet Carts) the same question because I use his inks. He really didn't answer my question but he did send me a video regarding a completely different type of cart that they are in the process of working on for the Epson R3000 & R2000. Be
sides the video he sent me this message:

ANDREW,

WE ARE IN FINAL STAGES OF COMPLETING THE RATF CHIPS FOR R2000 AND R3000 MODELS.
(RESET ALL POSITION TO FULL)=RATF CHIP.

ONCE COMPLETE WE WILL BE ABLE TO OFFER BOTH A USER FRIENDLY CISS AND DAMPER CART SYSTEM FOR THESE MODELS.
UNTIL CHIP COMPLETION THE CHINA CARTS ARE THE ONLY ALTERNATIVE FOR REFILLING.
4PART VIDEO FOR DAMPER CARTS ON EPSON 4 COLOR MODELS; DAMPER OVERVIEW TUTORIAL PDF ALSO ATTACHED.
http://www.inkjetcarts.us/support/a...tem-with-reset-all-to-full-chip-ratf-105.html

Ross Hardie

Andrew1937

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm sorry Russ did answer my question which I failed to see in the E-mail he sent me, as follows:

Q1: What is a damper?
A1: Dampers are containers that properly provide inks to gravity and pressure fed print heads. All Epson pro printers contain dampers above the head under the print head cover. Dampers have no chip on them and this makes for a versatile delivery system in Epson desktop printers, as the chip is a one piece device and mounted separately from the ink damper. Our Generation5 (GEN5) dampers are the ultimate delivery device for inks.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Ross described exactly what a damper is. I don't understand what else you are missing. Simply,,, they are little boxes that carry and deliver ink to the head. They are fully independent to the actual chips which are usually part of separate bar that is mounted to mate with the chip sensor contacts on the print head.
These ink containers ( Dampers ) are inserted where the original carts would be located.
Empty dampers are all indentical where as OEM carts or other 3rd part CHIPPED carts are individually designed so they are not position interchangable. Magenta cart must to go in the magenta slot. It will not fit in the yeallow slot for instance.
If you were inclided to do so, you could on purpose install your magena filled Damper in the yellow slot. Nothing would prevent you from doing so as there are no structural differences between them. Since they are identical they can be manufactured from one single mold design as opposed to requiring different molds as in the case of cartridges.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Damping is a process which can slow and dissipate shocks to a system or provide a temporary boost to what is needed.
For example what are called shock absorbers in the USA are called dampers in the UK. Both are correct. When a system like a spring and a weight are disturbed by a shock (by the introduction of energy), there will be bouncing around. When the system stops bouncing it is because it has been damped out. The energy has been absorbed by damping. Similarly when the shock absorbers are worn, the car bounces because there is no damping.

Now most good refillable cartridges will also have a damping system and this is seen by a little reservoir of ink that is somewhat separated out from the rest of the ink in a little chamber. This is to provide a quick burst of ink when it is called for by the printer during the priming cycle or cleaning cycle. This damper in effects aborbs the shock of ink demand that is demanded by the printer.

Now you'd wonder why you'd need that. Simple. Dampers originated from the wide format printers that had TUBES with SMALL DIAMETERS feeding the printhead. These small diameter tubes will cause high flow resistance during a head clean or heavy ink demand. These "dampened " the high flow rate required of the system. It absorbed the shock of the ink flow. You will see similar aspects in industrial hydraulics and mechanics AND electronics and is an essential part of any electrical or mechanical system subjected to dynamic demands.

In the Canon cartridge, there are actually dampers in the air vent labyrinth. The system of the maze and the large round chambers is the damper system. Why do you need these there? They provide a level of isolation from the differing humidity levels, when the the cartridge is subjected to varying atmospheric pressure and humidity levels outside. If you did not have that, the sponge will dry out faster during periods of varying external pressures.

If you open up an Epson cartridge, you will see a large diaphragm and a damping system in there as well.

There's no magic in dampers if the truth be told in a technical fashion.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
Fenrir Enterprises: you have not had good luck with them but as I posted on another thread I use them on three printers. 2 Epson 1400 and one Artisan 725. No leaks as you have described.
The dampers I bought for the dye printer are finally holding. Last night the cyan leaked out of the pigment printer. I give up. I'm buying a completely different system from someone else now.

jtoolman said:
There can always be a bad lot of dampers or carts for than manner. Never has the plastic side shield leaked, come loose or anything os the sort. I did have one instance of one of the O ring flip top refill lids not seal properly and one of the colors did leak out. I talked to the seller and he sent me a replacement and all has been fine since then.
The only responses I ever got for problems I had (I also had a set of R220 auto-reset carts suddenly stop being recognized by the printer last year) were "Nobody ever complains about our products. But you should always have a backup set just in case they're bad. Buy more." Also "We only have a .01% failure rate. But here's how to repair a cartridge with packing tape" (which did not work). Only after constant emails did I get one damper for free, and only when I agreed to buy yet another backup set. Which is not leaking out the sides but now draining into the printer on its own. After buying for 6 years, I think I should have been immediately offered a replacement set free of charge. All I get is blamed for not knowing what I'm doing. I feel like I should contest the charge with my credit card but I'm simply abandoning IJC and going with someone else now. Since the ink won't be the same, now I have to throw out all my ink too.