2024 - Color Laser Printers - Which models are easiest to refill toner cartridges?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'm looking to consolidate all my (and my GF's) various inkjet and laser printers into one big workhorse!

So, I'm beginning my search for a good-quality multi-function color laser printer (flatbed/feeder scanner, copier, printer) that has toner cartridges that are the easiest to refill.

... and by "easiest" I mean:
  • Mechanically easy (fewer steps/complications for refill the better)
  • Technically easier (without a ton of hoops to get around manufacturers blocks to refilling
Of course, as I type that out, there might be cases where OEM, generic, clone cartridges would be easier and worth the cost to save from complexity of refilling.

Looking forward to your ideas and suggestions!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Looking forward to your ideas and suggestions!
It’s a no brainer..

Don’t bother refilling all the colour carts, it’s very messy, just go for refilled compatibles..
Mono laser Yes, colour laser Never..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
It’s a no brainer..

Don’t bother refilling all the colour carts, it’s very messy, just go for refilled compatibles..
Mono laser Yes, colour laser Never..
Interesting!

So, is refilling the mono less-messy than color?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I never owned a color laser but my guess is that the messy factor it's the same, the only difference being that with mono printers you have to refill just one cart instead of four..,:D

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
So, is refilling the mono less-messy than color?
No but it means you only have one mess to clean up, if things go wrong.. :)
Besides you must first remove “ALL” the old toner from the cart before refilling..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Ah, gotcha.

Ya, if the carts aren't super hard to refill, and I'm willing to refill black, then also refilling the other ones shouldn't be that much more of a hassle. Example: I don't remember refilling multi-color ink carts much more difficult than just refilling single-color back in the day.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I don't remember refilling multi-color ink carts much more difficult than just refilling single-color back in the day.
I’d love to hear the outcome.. please keep us posted..:)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I recall years ago refilling my Brother mono laser with third party toner powder. By comparison, refilling ink carts seems so neat and clean. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
A few things I'm finding in my research:
  • Many of the new printer's carts are chipped, but some aftermarket carts come with chips
  • Some of the carts are a NIGHTMARE to refill... like taking the whole cart apart. Few are as easy as before (open cap, dump old toner, refill new toner, cap back in, done).
  • Some of the aftermarket / 3rd-party carts are still pretty expensive.
I was looking to just buy an HP or Brother color multifunction from Costco (Brother’s MFC-L3765CDW or HP M283cdw) , but neither of them have good options for aftermarket carts.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I was looking to just buy an HP or Brother color multifunction from Costco (Brother’s MFC-L3765CDW or HP M283cdw) , but neither of them have good options for aftermarket carts.
With Colour Lasers , the cost is the king, buy cheap and the lifespan can be very small..

Yes the toner carts are expensive but they last ages..

I have a huge big Oki colour laser (70 kg) sitting here on my bench and have only printed five SRA sheets on it in twelve months, the quality is superb but it’s not worth waking it up to just print a sheet or two.. I got it for free with extra spare oem carts but I reckon I was duped, it’s just sitting here like a big Feckin anchor..:oops: