20 Years in 30 days fading test

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
The latest in my series of tests in the Florida sun. As before, Canon PRO-100 CLI-42 ink images taped to windows on the SW side of the house. Not as before, the windows are now open, so the angularity in relationship to the sun is more direct. Probably a nuance and not critical to the results.

Without picking nits about the changing level of light during the various hours of the day, the lux/years in an indoor, indirect light environment compared to the sunlight is about 230:1. So, 30 days outside is about 7,000 inside, about 20 years. Your situation WILL vary.

For the first time, two test panels were under glass, the gold standard that also pretty much eliminates gas fading. And they were taped to the glass on all sides, so no ingress/egress of air. These were B&W images, since my prior research shows that B&W is the canary in the fading/color shift coal mine. The third panel was not under glass and consisted of my previously discussed color and B&W image in a quad form, divided top and bottom halves.

The glass used was what came with some frames from the Salvation Army. Only after running the tests did I notice that on edge, one frame was the green I expected, and the other was warm, kinda yellowish. WTH? Of course, this may have effected the outcomes, but I have no way of knowing without more tests. Which don’t matter to me.

I ran a fresh print to make A/B comparisons, I laid it next to the torture survivors.

Various combinations of no treatment, lacquer, .004 Mylar, Low Density Polyethylene (a.k.a. grocery store food wrap), aluminum foil, and Photo Shield were used. Photo Shield? That’s my short hand for a UV blocking, nano ceramic, clear window “tint.” Something I’m experimenting with.

The envelope, please:

1. No Glass: As I’ve observed before, it’s amazing how well plain lacquer goes in preserving a photo. I’ve already determined in previous tests, rather logically, that it stops gas fading. Period. It’s as good a moisture/gas barrier as any common substance. The color portion of my test image looks great if you don’t have a fresh print to compare it with. No observable color shifts. The B&W portion has gone warm, but still has good contrast. The half with lacquer plus the Photo Shield has no color shift in the B&W, yet the flesh tone in the color part is redder. Go figger.

2. Under glass #1: B&W, top, no treatment, bottom, Photo Shield. The PS bottom is a bit less faded, but w/o the opportunity to compare to the top half, there is effectively no difference.

3. Under glass #2: The quad image, all B&W. One quarter had a double fold of aluminum foil, one had the .004 Mylar, one had the Photo Shield, and one had the LDPE. The foil covered quadrant was less faded, as expected, but there is a definite color shift towards green. ????? The differences between the other three transparent treatments are minimal. The Photo Shield is the least faded, but not by a whole lot more than Mylar or LDPE.

Conclusion: Glass performs as advertised.

The bottom lines:

1. Unless you are fixated on your paper texture, always use a lacquer coating, front and back. I have an opinion that it’s good to dehydrate the print by either silica gel or gentle heat first, but I’ve no tests on this. Yet.

2. If your print will be mounted under glass, you can lacquer if you want, but not necessary. You can get a slight bump with a product like Photo Shield. The downside of PS is that there is a 10% light loss...........in two directions.

3. For reasons I’m yet to fathom, PS seems to protect no-glass B&W very well, but causes a reduction in contrast and a color shift, even after the PS is removed. Yes, I’m puzzled.

The Bottom Line of The Bottom Line: Spray with lacquer, you can’t go wrong. Perhaps mount behind glass, you can’t go wrong. Go have a glass of wine. Enjoy for decades.

Will I be posting images? Not likely, too much work. And you may or may not be able to see the nuances in a scan. Trust my narrative?

Are the Chromalife 100 Plus inks as good as Canon claims. No. And I very much want them to be. Are they good enough for many or most purposes, especially if lacquer sprayed or kept in albums? Certainly.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Thanks for nice update :) It's cool that glass works as advertised.
The other nice thing about DYE prints is they keep very good colors if stored in an album. Otherwise lacquer is smart option if paper is non glossy, or semi-glossy.

I can't imagine somebody using lacquer on glossy paper, especially PT-101 the kind you would buy for quality glossy photos.

The MSDS for PremierArt Print Shield (did you use this laquer) ?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/static/pdf/msds/premier/PrintShieldAerosolMSDS.pdf

The solvent is Isopropyl Alcohol, so that's nice product. One should avoid any other solvent based lacquers for prints, not only do they dry forever (like automotive products) they can also damage prints !

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Smile: Yes, it would hurt to buy PT-101 and then spray it! Nevertheless, if mounting naked, it's the smart thing to do. Or, smarter thing to do, put behind glass.

Spray lacquer comes in both glossy and semi-gloss from the hardware store at about half the price of Print Shield even w/o shipping.

You, like many, are confused about finish chemistry, and although they should be definitive, MSDS's are sometimes in error. I've seen it before. For instance, here is Print Shield "Bulk," whatever that means: http://www.premierart.info/pdf/Eco_Print_Shield_Bulk_MSDS.pdf Just one "hazardous" ingredient.

And then you have what I consider definitive and accurate by description: http://www.premierart.info/pdf/Factsheet_PrintShield.pdf It's lacquer "based." It's lacquer. The isopropanol alcohol in the MSDS makes zero sense. The only alcohol based finish type is shellac, and methyl alcohol is the standard carrier. The n-butyl acetate in that MSDS is a lacquer carrier!

The word "varnish" is thrown about without caution, but varnishes are a specific chemistry, oil based. In the old days, linseed oil. Nowadays, synthetic chemistry with a light hydrocarbon distillate, i.e., mineral spirits or similar. These, like the Krylon Archival series, do take about 20 minutes to dry, or longer.

Varnishes are not near as impermeable to moisture and vapors as lacquers are.

Lacquer is a different thinner chemistry, oddly enough, known as lacquer thinner. It smells very differently that varnish (or shellac) because it uses hydrocarbons like toluol and other rapidly evaporating types. A thin coat of lacquer is dry to the touch in 3 or 4 minutes. Obviously, this helps prevent dust or particles ruining the finish.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Very strange that your MSDS is different from the one I posted found using google. All I know there are two types of spray protectors, one uses isopropyl alcohol, the other uses acetone etc. nasty stuff like you say.

Obviously the latter is way better to protecting from moisture, it costs less too, and dries way longer. The one I have dries complete in 24hrs and is called Dupli-Color 585050 it's matt. Obviously dry to the touch is in 10 - 15 minutes.

I will also make a test and spray A6 paper sized test target with it to see how it preserves it from both sides like you say.

The cheap alternative to varnish (or shellac) is hairspray. I did use it for printable CD's with great success to protect from wet fingers etc. But never tested it for print longevity.

What would you classify as spray lacquers worth testing from this list (they are way 2x more expensive then hardware store ones):
http://menomuza.lt/EN/catalog/category/105/varnishes/page/1/

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
As I said, this isn't the first time I've found outright errors or other variances in MSDS's.

No, no print protector that I've ever actually seen, investigated, or used uses isoproyl alcohol or acetone. None, ever.

Old fashioned hair spray is lacquer, I think. Can't prove it and not worth my time to investigate. A lot of "modern" hair sprays use vinyl acetates. Think "gel" types.

As to your link..... There is an amazing amount of total bulls**t in the advertising airwaves, thousands of products posing and pretending as somehow different from the other thousands. There are only so many ingredients in a genre of intended uses. If one has some basic chemistry background, it's obvious that almost every product is nothing significantly different from similar others. Read the ingredients for shampoos. Exactly the same, over and over and over. Sodium lauryl sulphate, blah, blah, blah.

My prior tests, "published" here, have shown that UV inhibitors in a commercial retail base have almost no effect on anything. The same tests have shown that gas degradation is far more important that UV. Spray the print with a simple hardware store lacquer, gloss or semi-gloss, and/or mount behind glass, done deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
To have the preserving finish be close to that of the photo paper itself, what should one use for:
Glossy?______________
Matte?______________
Semi-Gloss/Satin? [Spray Lacquer from hardware store?]__________________

or did I misunderstand everything and these are the wrong questions to ask?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Longevity of prints is a combination of several factors - the ink itself , the conditions in which they are placed, and protective measures like glass/framing, lamination, spray coating etc. You'll reach very good results with the original Canon inks, but in most cases pretty poor results with 3rd party refill inks, and you'll not be able to reach the performance of OEM inks with an arbitrary 3rd party ink plus any of the above means. Photo finishing sprays are available in glossy and matt to your liking

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
Longevity of prints is a combination of several factors - the ink itself , the conditions in which they are placed, and protective measures like glass/framing, lamination, spray coating etc. You'll reach very good results with the original Canon inks, but in most cases pretty poor results with 3rd party refill inks, and you'll not be able to reach the performance of OEM inks with an arbitrary 3rd party ink plus any of the above means. Photo finishing sprays are available in glossy and matt to your liking
In UK comics we have a character called "Roger The Dodger" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_the_Dodger) who uses an enormous amount of energy to avoid the most trivial of tasks. (He never succeeds!) A bit like people that want to save money on ink and then spend enormous amounts of time and money on finding ways to stop their prints from fading. This may be a re-fillers' forum, but if you really want the maximum life for your prints, straight out of the printer, use OEM ink and forget the "dodges". If you don't care about print longevity, just carry on with third-party inks and don't mess around with sprays and other second operations. You can always re-print if you need to.......

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Regardless of the original paper finish, it will end up whatever the spray is. The two ends of the surface spectrum, gloss and matte, come out reliably close to original with a spray of the same name. Even there, and overlooking possible defects like dust or runs, the finish will vary with application thickness.
In papers, "semi-gloss" covers a wide range form Luster and the closely related Pearl to true semi....gloss.
I guess it's possible to take a Pearl of Luster and with a very light coating of S-G lacquer, keep the original finish.....sort of. But then, is it enough lacquer? I don't know.
In UK comics we have a character called "Roger The Dodger" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_the_Dodger) who uses an enormous amount of energy to avoid the most trivial of tasks. (He never succeeds!) A bit like people that want to save money on ink and then spend enormous amounts of time and money on finding ways to stop their prints from fading. This may be a re-fillers' forum, but if you really want the maximum life for your prints, straight out of the printer, use OEM ink and forget the "dodges". If you don't care about print longevity, just carry on with third-party inks and don't mess around with sprays and other second operations. You can always re-print if you need to.......

Did I say anything about using generic inks? No. I specifically started by mentioning in the second sentence that these were the latest and greatest Canon inks.