1860 pigment black not printing

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The pigment black won't print. I thought maybe something was wrong in the electronics because I was pretty sure it wasn't clogged enough to not print at all. I put in a new Canon cart - I have been using refill canons with Precision Inks - in hopes that might start it up, but nothing. I did cleaning and printing checks and it was still no black. The printer sat unused for a while then I used it again and still no black, then after a bit, black starting printing some, then quite a bit, then slacked off to nothing again. Now, no pigment black at all. I assume something is wrong with how the ink is accessed in the printhead, but I'm guessing and asking here for any suggestions. Thanks.

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Should read i 860, not 1 860. Stupid fingers!

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
A highly probable cause is a malfunctioning purge unit for your pigment black. The parking pads where you print head sits with the unit off and shut down should be tested for operation.

Power up you printer.

Open the cover and let the print head move to the "cart change" position.

Pull out the power plug, which keeps the print head stationary.

Using a bright flashlight, look at the spot where the print head normally parks and locate the two "parking Pads". One is for pigment black, one is for the colors. These connect to a small vacuum pump that sucks ink out of the print head during cleaning or purging.

Using a syringe, or soda straw, place enough Original Windex or clean water onto these pads to build up a standing "puddle" above each pad.

Observe if the puddle(s) drain away (in other words, no matter how much water you place on the pad, you don't build up a stable puddle that lasts a minute).

If the puddle drains away repeatedly, then you have a leak in the purge system below the pad (such as a disconnected hose). Open the printer and determine the cause of the leak.

If the puddle is stable, that's good, BUT you could have a CLOGGED purge unit.

If the puddle is stable, plug in the printer and close the cover. Let the printer do it's normal cleaning cycle after the cover is closed.

After the printer finishes the short cleaning cycle, open the cover and observe the pads. BOTH pads should be liquid free (the puddles should have disappeared). If any liquid remains on the pad(s), then the purge unit is clogged. AND it's a real "dig" to unclog it. It's possible, but requires some experience with the printer.

Report back what you find.

Wayne

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I just did the testing as you suggested. I think it must be clogged as nothing drained away. On either pad. Now what? Am I able to do what it needs?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Try it one more time, but this time with the cover closed, do a deep clean from the print driver and observe if the puddles disappear.

(I as expecting the puddle on the color pad to disappear, but the black pigment pad's puddle to stay, based on your symptoms).

Report back again.

Wayne

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Just as you predicted, the color pad is fine, the other one is swimming.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
That is strong (practically conclusive) evidence your purge system for the black pigment is clogged. It's happened to me on my MP730. In order to fix it, you must open up the printer, lift out the guts to get at the peristaltic vacuum pump at the bottom of the guts, open the black cylindrical pump casing (it typically snaps apart), and search for/clean out the clog(s) in the system. I had to clean out some small passageways in the pump and tubing manifold with a fine-stiff wire to get my MP730 working. It's not a job for the faint-hearted. I can't offer you a dis-assembly guide for your printer either, although some else here might.

While there, you might as well replace the waste ink blotters, or at least wash them out and dry them.

Overall, it's a messy job. Expect to get your hands stained.

But, if you feel comfortable with it, what have you got to loose? If it's similar to my i960's, it's not really hard. Without a functioning purge system, the printer will NEVER print black again...

Wayne

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi popsy

If you are going to take your printer apart to clean the purge unit and the ink absorbers, then service manual, parts catalog and instructions might be helpful. You find them here:

Service manual for Canon i860/i865: http://elektrotanya.com/canon_i860_i865_pixus_860i_sm.pdf/download.html

Parts catalog for Canon i860/i865: http://elektrotanya.com/canon_i860_parts.pdf/download.html

Instructions to change ink absorbers: http://www.druckerchannel.de/artike...replace_waste_ink_sponges_of_canon_s_i_models

Good luck with the project
Peter.

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have the printer opened but I don't know where to go from here. I can't see how to lift out the guts. It feels as if everything is tightly bound and looks like screws here and there. Help!?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I wish I could help. Do the Service Manual links listed above work for you? I get this REALLY SUSPICIOUS note after attempting to download....

Letlts nem lehetsges! A bngsződ/gped blokkolja a letltst!
(Ellenőrizd az ABP vagy outpost tűzfal, illetve
az ltalad hasznlt internet security program belltsait
(Kaspersky, Norton, stb..)

Download not possible! Your browser/machine blocks downloading!
(Check ABP and
also check your outpost firewall or Kaspersky internet security or Norton security
or other similar intenet security programs.../if you use one of them/)

Wayne