16 bit printing with the Canon Pro 100

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Correction/addition to the above: "The resulting print on Pro Lustre paper" should read "the resulting print using the resulting custom profile with Canon Pro Lustre paper".

finepics

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10
One thing I'm noticing is that the test image has a profile assigned to it (sRGB) which could mean you're double profiling. My test image has no profile assigned. I also use the Canon Print Studio Pro plugin to print and certainly don't use the Pro mode as this means the printer manages the colours which could be the problem. I always select a profile from PSP and obviously make sure you're selecting the correct media type for the paper you're using. This will mean with some papers you're forced to use the 30mm Art margin, hence why I ended up writing my own profiles and using different media types to print out the profiling targets in order to circumvent the margins. With the Pro100 only having one type of Black ink this worked really well.

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
One thing I'm noticing is that the test image has a profile assigned to it (sRGB) which could mean you're double profiling

You've flummoxed me there somewhat. I don't know what you mean by the above statement. The colour space of the Fuji test image on the PC website is indeed sRGB but to my understanding this is has nothing to do with the printing profile for the paper. I also have test images that have the Adobe RGB1998 colour space which to my limited understanding is set as an input profile when setting up the printer driver (under matching ) ICM from Windows 7. The printer profile is of course set to the profile for the paper and ink set being used.
For SRGB images I used the "Standard" setting for the input profile.
Is this where I'm going wrong? I'm only trying out an alternative to using Studio Print Pro to try and isolate the problem I'm having ( by duplicating Mike's technique if I can) otherwise like yourself I'm perfectly happy with it.
I've tried prints of an RGB 1998 colour space image using Studio Print Pro to drive the printer with the same paper and always get the same crappy result without significant magenta reduction on the manual adjustment sliders.

I'm really grateful for your efforts to understand my problem and I'm fully aware of the issue you ran up against when using the manual feeder slot to print on heavyweight art papers and being restricted to standard paper sizes and a 30mm margin. That combo came as quite a shock to me as well and I'm very impressed with your work around.

finepics

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10
Sorry Peter, I might be misleading you there with the sRGB tagged image. There was an issue with some drivers and OS's that meant profiles were being applied twice which would give terrible results, but I'm trying to recall things from years ago that I'd long forgotten!

The profiles I wrote for Premium Matte Pro, Fine Art Museum Etching and some others were written with Matte Paper N as the media type and I was getting beautiful results with that and could pretty much go borderless if I wanted to. However I now have the Pro10 which is not the same story as it has 2 black carts for different papers so I've written the profiles for this using the correct media types. Not such an issue with A3+ papers as 30mm isn't so big, but with A4 (which I do have to print for some of my "clients") it's a much bigger problem!

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
This will mean with some papers you're forced to use the 30mm Art margin, hence why I ended up writing my own profiles and using different media types to print out the profiling targets in order to circumvent the margins.

Did you by any chance try using the profile for other art papers (Vers1.0.0) that Canon made available for Windows users to download from their website?
I can't remember whether there was a version for MAC.
Does this profile allow for any more flexibility than the older one that is preloaded for Canon Museum Etching Fine Art?

finepics

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10
It's not the ICC profile that dictates the margin but the media type. The Other Fine Art 1 & 2, Premium Matte and Museum Etching media types all impose the margins.

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Sorry Peter, I might be misleading you there with the sRGB tagged image. There was an issue with some drivers and OS's that meant profiles were being applied twice which would give terrible results

I'd really love to hear more about this if there's a chance that it could be happening in my case.

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Gotcha. I remember now that the media type That I used for Ilford Galerie Smooth Fine art was Matte Photo Paper which explains why I didn't have the same problem with that paper.
Sorry I forgot.

finepics

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10
And that would be the right thing to do for any matte papers. Making custom profiles is certainly the best way to get the best out of the pro100.