Media Black Points and Fading Test 106 114 T54C GI-53

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I started a litle fading test with these Epson and Canon inks - Epson 106 114 T54C and Canon GI-53, all inks used in some type of Epson or Canon photo printers, I'm using these papers for this test
- a HP Premium Plus Photo Paper - a Glossy 300 RC paper via ac-concept/Ebay and a cc-paper Hayatec via Amazon, this is the cc-paper which curls the least amongst cc-papers after print . I'm starting with the media black point of these papers and inks

Black point.png

The Epson inks on the above papers are pretty close together, the Canon GI-53 ink is rather weak on the resin coated glossy paper and as good as the Epson inks on the Hayatec one. This again shows how much inks and paper depend on each other. The difference between 11,8 and 5,59 is visible between prints in direct comparison , but photo prints still look pretty good on the Hayatec paper if you cannot compare, and there are more differences between cast coated - cc - and resin coated - RC - papers - like the feel of the paper, the look of the gloss etc. The user decides which paper he takes to print his photos.

Fading results will follow.

P.S.

Attention - please be aware that I'll restart this test with the same inks and papers, I'm not sure to which extend the above data are affected.

PPS:
I'm adding a link to the Hayatec paper by Amazon here since 'Hayatec' is not mentioned in the product name so you can't search for it

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=Photopapi...+a4+glänzend+fotokarten,aps,97&ref=nb_sb_noss

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
That's always the nice thing with printing and testing - there are hidden surprises here and there.

GI-53 BK ink and thought it was a very good ink; well still very good on some papers..
I don't test in this cycle any Canon paper - who knows how that would perform .......

This just shows that general statements about inks or papers must be viewed very much with caution

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I did a small check how the fading proceeds after 5 days and found some problems/inconsistencies in the data, ink in a yellow cartridge was contaminated and patch sheets wrongly labelled, I don't know to which extend some colors are affected so I'll restart the test in the next days and hope that I have enough ink at all - It's just what is left in cartridges for the most part since I'm mainly using the Epson 106 inks.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I reprinted the patchsheets and measured the media blackpoints again, I added a Canon PT 101 Pro Platinum to the test, and I'm getting these results:

Media Black point 05-24.png

The data don't vary much against the data in the original table , the Epson inks all run pretty closely, the Canon GI-53 performs somewhat weaker on the RC papers from Canon, Epson and a 3rd party paper. I created profiles from the patch data to check for hidden errors, the problems appear to be gone.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I was hopping for a better performance of Canon Ink with Canon paper.
You are addressing a problem about every user has - to get performance data of inks and papers , it is virtually not possible even for OEM products, and even less for 3rd party products , so you have to make a guess or just go by the brand names hoping to get a good product. You may find the paper white point in some secluded databases of some manufacturers but where would you find the media black point(s) - e.g. with different inks - GI-51 or GI-53 etc ? ?

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I checked and scanned a few patch sheets already after 5 days to verfiy if there are still some inconsistencies in the data , I couldn't find any, data are already diverging pretty clearly depending on the ink/paper combinations - but that is actually expected . I'll give the patch sheets an exposure time of 2 weeks for clear results and will report accordingly.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Let me update the results of the fading test now after 2 weeks - with 4 papers and 4 inks, I'm not running any
cheaper 3rd party inks like InkTec in this test, and I don't repeat tests from over the last years with the lower end Epson and Canon bottled inks like Epson 664 or 102 or Canon GI-51, and there are no pigment inks in this test either which all would blow up this test tremendously, and not to forget non-standard/specialty/FineArt papers - there are plenty.
(HP PPPP = HP Premium Plus Photo Paper)

Fading 2 weeks.png

You can observe wide variations between these 16 ink/paper combinations, it appears to me that OEM papers go very well with OEM inks and deliver a better fading performance than the Hayatec cast coated paper, so it is up to the user to balance his requirements against the pricing of these combinations.

I'll puzzle out the effect of the optical brighteners as well in the next days - they basically fade as well and as fast as the regular inks - with variations depending on the paper.

Latest posts