Canon Maxify GX5050: Dye Ink or Pigment Ink?

xwarer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Maxify GX5050
Hi guys, I have a canon maxify gx5050 and I have to do 3-4k prints a day.
Searching on the internet I saw that pigmented compatible ink costs much more than Dye ink, my question is: is it possible to use dye ink in my printer?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
is it possible to use dye ink in my printer?
Only if you want trouble, and if you wish to use dye ink then get another printer, compatible pigment ink is available at a very reasonable price, so don’t try to ruin a perfectly good printer..

xwarer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Maxify GX5050
Only if you want trouble, and if you wish to use dye ink then get another printer, compatible pigment ink is available at a very reasonable price, so don’t try to ruin a perfectly good printer..
In Italy i pay 40 euros for 1 liter of every color kit for the dye ink, for the pigment ink it would cost me around 120 euros for the same quantity

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm not clear what you want to acheive - swapping the pigment ink to dye ink in an existing printer or initializing a new printer directly with dye ink.
And I'm not clear about your ink pricing - they appear to be pretty arbitrary , I have seen Canon compatible pigment inks at a lower price.

And be aware that you are loosing significant long term stability/longevity by using arbitrary dye inks if that would be an issue for you.

I only can report from experience with Epson printers that swapping from dye to pigment ink on various Megatankprinter worked o.k. but problems - missing nozzles occured after the change from pigment to dye inks - it is apparently just not possible to clean and wash out the last pigment particle from the ink reservoir and tubing/ink supply system .

Last edited:

simondavidson

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP
Yes, it's possible to use dye ink in your printer, but it's essential to ensure compatibility with your printer model.
Hi guys, I have a canon maxify gx5050 and I have to do 3-4k prints a day.
Searching on the internet I saw that pigmented compatible ink costs much more than Dye ink, my question is: is it possible to use dye ink in my printer?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
3-4K prints a day is a lot of printing and beyond hobby use. If you are running this as a business then you need to factor in the cost of good quality ink and price your printing accordingly. Don't use cheap inks unless you want to risk losing a good printer.