Yellow Cart turned black!

ROX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Cant seem to figure out why my yellow cart did this. Although the night before I probably printed about 100 pages of glossy but only about 10% of the page being colored.
Any ideas?

DSC_2081.jpg

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Mice? Lice?

Time to go shopping. New cartridge, and maybe a new printer. I have to wonder what went into that cartridge.

ROX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
Mice? Lice?

Time to go shopping. New cartridge, and maybe a new printer. I have to wonder what went into that cartridge.
New printer? heck no! LOL!

I just purged the cart and refilled it....its working like a champ again.

I wonder if i over heated the head and the ink cooked? I'm printing another 100 pages as I type and no problems yet...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
the black came back up from the printhead. Check the nozzle pattern after the printer has been resting for a long period and see if there is any unusual darkness in the yellow band now.

Not coincidentally the black channel runs beside the yellow and it somehow jumped or crept over to the yellow ink. Could be coincidence, bad seal or the printhead nozzle plate is delaminating from the ceramic substrate. Time will tell.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I've had the same thing happen on my i960. The neighboring black ink wicked up into the yellow through some path in the printhead or parking pad. Put in another yellow cart and it never recurred. Go figure!

Wayne

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Right. Cross-contamination, but what ate the sponge?

Maybe it's just me, but I sure wouldn't use that cartridge again.

ROX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
Right. Cross-contamination, but what ate the sponge?

Maybe it's just me, but I sure wouldn't use that cartridge again.
lol i get why you said mice or lice now HAHAH

Nothing ate the sponge...its color white and just didnt photograph well.

Okay, glad to hear its happened to some people. Seems to be working fine now.

One more question. If this happened again, is the head pretty much gone?

ROX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
the black came back up from the printhead. Check the nozzle pattern after the printer has been resting for a long period and see if there is any unusual darkness in the yellow band now.

Not coincidentally the black channel runs beside the yellow and it somehow jumped or crept over to the yellow ink. Could be coincidence, bad seal or the printhead nozzle plate is delaminating from the ceramic substrate. Time will tell.
I'll check on this

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
One thing to check as well is actually not the yellow cart but the photoblack cart. If it is for whatever reason kind of leaky then it is possible for the black to ooze ink out of the black nozzles, cling on the underside and then get cross contamination on the yellow side. So there is another potential item to check.

If it is a seal then you can be brave as some have and then see if the internal gasket is loose or not placed properly but this is the LAST resort item. If it is because of of the printhead plate delaminating, then I don't think there is anything that a use or even Canon can do. If it keeps doing it, then this printhead can be converted into a black only printhead.

With some luck it was just a freaky thing...stuff happens.