Ya' know, about those OEM carts.....

Fish Chris

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well yes, they are WAAAY too expensive, especially for a poor guy like me..... and yes, they are making a sickening profit off of those things....

However, they are sure made to exacting standards, and I just can't believe how many prints I get from those OEM's ! I mean, I can't explain why it is, but from the factory carts that came with my iP6000D, I have printed at least 25, 8 1/2" x 11" full color prints, and so I just checked the carts, figuring that a few would be near empty, and the rest would be no more than half full. To my surprise, 4 of the six (all but PC and PM) looked as if they had not even been used ! Even the PC and PM looked about 1/2 and 2/3 full !

How can this be ? OEM carts are not any bigger ? How can they hold more ink ? And if they can't, then why do they make so many more prints than aftermarket carts ????

Sure wish I could afford these freaking OEM's......
Your thoughts ?

Peace,
Fish

d86cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You shouldnt find you get more prints with an OEM than a generic brand or a refill. Especially with a Canon - if there is the same amount of ink (13ml?) then they should last the same time. As long as you dont have to do lots of head cleans to keep it all working.

Your Canon printer is one of the cheapest out there, be thankfull you don't own a Lexmark!

Regs,

D

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Very little data I have found on the subject---but I do go back to the review by JV on bulkinkjetcarts.--one of the better third party vendors---but JV posted that the Canon OEM BCI-6 cartridge had 14 ml of ink and gave a low ink warning at 3.5 ml of ink left--and the third party cartridge only had 12.7 ml of ink to start with and gave a low ink at 4.2 ml of ink left.--this determination was done by weight and I have little doubt about the science of JV's post as the rest of his post was also very impressively documented.

But its still an impressive difference----10.5 ml of usuable ink vs. 8.5 or almost 24% more usuable ink.
in the OEM. But the bigger mystery is why low ink triggered at 3.5 vs. 4.2--or a 20% difference. And if this is somewhat typical of all third party cartridges or not.

But now I refill---and I do note my refilled cartridge seems to last longer than a Canon OEM--but I have a sponge that is 100% color infused.--and that I am better off not waiting for the low ink warning before I refill.--nor am I throwing away the 3.5 or 4.2 ml of ink left in the sponge.

The route to Canon printing economy is in refilling---and the i6000d is a great printer for undertaking that journey---expect savings of at LEAST 10x over Canon OEM.--what matter is it to you that a mere 25% added Canon ink efficency might knock those savings down to only a factor of 9.75x?

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Excellent post, Osage. Another reason for refilling is to save the environment. The number of cartridges filling the landfill when add up is enormous. By refilling you almost never throw away any cartridges.

Latest posts