Xerox "Solid Ink Technology". Looks really cool!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
My friend brought over some color prints that looked amazing. I assumed they were from a color laser so I asked him what brand laser printer he had. He said, "Not a laser, a solid ink Xerox printer." I've never heard of this before so I did some searching. I found the following:

http://www.office.xerox.com/color-printers/phaser-8400/enus.html

There is a link to a cool presentation called, "So how does solid ink work?" toward the middle of the page. Check it out!

One thing that sounded really cool is that it uses solid blocks of ink that can be added at any time. You can top off your "ink" supply right before a big job by simply adding more solid blocks of ink.

Anybody know much about these? My friend use to have a color laser but loves this because it "has fewer consumables / parts to worry about being repaired". All the stuff online is very sales pitchy, so I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I know this technology. It was invented by Tectronix I think, then Xerox bought it.

It produces vivid waterproof prints but they are a bit prone to scratch. The quality is good for business documents on normal paper (maybe better than inkjet) but on anything better than normal paper, inkjets win. (by normal paper I don't mean cheapo normal paper)

It is meant to be compared to laser color printers which, in my opinion, it beats for business documents because of the color vividness.

Watch out though, there is an item inside this printer (I think it's a waste shaft) that needs to be replaced every some thousand pages.

I like it very much as a technology but Xerox hasn't done anything good with it. The 8400 model has been around for years, it's a shame.

vkakula

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
"Xerox has not done anything with it."

Pay attention because this will soon change. :cool:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Holy cow!!! That thig is FAAAAAST! I was almost wondering if it was a trick.