Wrong color in Colormunki testchart print - error when scanning last row!

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
When the colormunki software prints the first test chart, ONE single patch in the last row comes out pink instead of blue!

In the middle of the last row you can see blue-yellow-blue on the monitor. If I set the printer on some standard paper, the patches will come out more or less saturated, not totally different. But if I set the printer to "NO color correction", which is the correct setting for profiling, one of these blue patches on the monitor prints out PINK!

Result: the last row can not be scanned, always ending in a red error frame.

I have already reinstalled the printer driver, and some more, also tried saviing as pdf. But even with the pdf test chart the R800 will change this little blue patch to pink, if set to "no color correction ... aaararrgggh...!!

CM-wrong-patch-in-print-of-testchart.jpg CM-wrong-patch-in-print-of-testchart-.jpg

OS is windows, printer is epson R800.. the error came out of the blue, have done many profiles with this same OS and printer before.

The wrong colored patch prints out, whenever the printer driver is set to "no color correction"

Most astonishing, that the wrong patch will be printed out of the colormunki software, but also out of pdf viewers, after saving the chart as pdf.

Anybody out there, who can help?
I have posted this problem also on dpreview, hopefully here are some more colormunki experts, who may know this bizzare error, or can explain..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@martin0reg, The print setting are wrong somewhere in your setup, check them again.
That’s not the only colour that’s wrong.

Line 1, third patch down
Line 1, last patch down

Line 2, third patch down
Line 2, sixth patch down

Line 3, sixth patch down
Line 3, last patch down

Line 4, second patch down
Line 5, fifth patch down
Even if you didn’t get an error the colours are still not right.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Are you trying profile a standard inkjet paper ?

I have had similar problems when trying profile non-inkjet, or weird type paper.

Running a sheet you have profiled previously will indicate if it is a print(er) problem or if you colomunki is misbehaving.

rs

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
TheHat, you are right, the two prints are from an older chart, which I had saved as PDF.
And here even more patches print out wrong..

I was looking only at the patch which turned to pink, because this was the one which I noticed when the scanning was not possible anymore. Scanning failed only at the last row..

I just repeated the steps:

1 open the colormunki software
2 choose profile printer
3 choose the R800 and give a paper name
4 the target appears and the "print" button to click
5 the printer driver opens and I make my setting, this time for testing I set:
- plain paper, photo quality, ICM - OFF / No Color Correction

Result: around 8 patches in more or less wrong color.

This occurs BEFORE the munki is plugged in.
Then I do the scanning: it fails not until the last row..

You can't go on with the missing last row, so a test of the resulting profile isn't possible, anyway this would be useless.

What I don't understand at all is the fact, that I get wrong colored patches even when I print them as PDF, without the colormunki software...?!

Roy Sletcher, I will try that, but I don't suspect the munki.. and my profiles seem to work..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
check that the correct ink is inside the cartridges. I suspect that magenta is being used where it is not supposed to be.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I just tried another notebook to profile the same printer with the same munki + software - and everything is fine! So the problem is not the printer or the colormunki device nor the software.

Must be something hidden deep in the folders and files of windows color management.
What sort of messy setting could cause this? I don't want to re-install my OS..

edit to add: second new install of the printer driver has finally fixed it, so also my first computer is now profiling without wrong colors, as before..
Thank you all. Although I didn't found the bug.

Last edited: