Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Win10 free offer ends July 29, 2016.

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
I tried Win 10, skipped 8 and 8.1, just went back to 7, when MS decides not to support 7 anymore I will be switching full time to Linux, Windows 10 is terrible, and I couldnt put up with the crap anymore....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I certainly whole heartily agree with your Win 10 comments, but I do hope that my experiences will be different to yours.. :caf :hu

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
For your sanity, I hope so too....
I dont think microshaft will ever have an OS as good as 7 ever again, and thats not saying a whole lot, 7 has it's issues too. I like to game, (DOOM 2016 is DA BOMB!!!) so I will have to keep windows around, but only for gaming.....heh

I certainly whole heartily agree with your Win 10 comments, but I do hope that my experiences will be different to yours.. :caf :hu

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I also like to chill out with Crysis and Farcry, but I do the gaming on Win8.1…:D

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I got some cheap W 8.1 license keys and upgraded some W7 systems, the W 8.1 support will end in 2023, so there will be enough time by then to consider the next step - which hardware in 7 years, which software versions and programs will make most sense on a W10 system computer/notebook/tablet whatever at that time.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
How long will Windows 7 support last?

My laptop was hijacked and some malware installed even if I tried to say no. The malware: Virus 10, 32 bit by Microsoft! I had updated the laptop that had Windows 7 installed until there was only one important update pending. I checked this important update and it was Windows 10. I selected don't install, but next time I used the laptop it suddenly showed a blue screen with the text logging off or something similar and followed by installing Windows 10 or similar. If I had switched the laptop off by holding the on-off button till the computer switched off would the harddrive then have become corrupted? I was angry at Microsoft, but allowed the install to continue. My laptop is now running Windows 10 for the second time. I don't wipe the hard drive to reinstall windows 7 once more. I accept that the hackers at Redmond won this one.

Was this "offer I couldn't refuse" the result of Windows 7 support coming to en end?

I hope my Windows 8.1 computer won't be attacked in the same way.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Windows 7 support ends - Jan 2020

http://windows.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/lifecycle

Win 10 has a go back function, that worked for me one time already, and once the W10 give away period is over end of July the pressure to upgrade to W 10 will be less because they can't just charge your for it.
There are no simple answers to the W10 upgrade - or not, it depends on your hardware, and the planned and expected residual lifetime of it, your software, compatibility with other systems like Windows Mobile , and considerations that new software in a few years may not be W7 compatible anymore, and a lot more of such thoughts. One thing is not possible with W 10, getting a free upgrade now with a cheap W8 license code, put it onto an archive disk, and revive it in 5+ years on other hardware, W10 cannot be moved from one system to another system anymore which you could do with all previous versions.