Windows 10 Anniversary Edition

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Well I might be the first to make the Win 10 Anniversary edition. Just did one machine, not my main player. Stupid sometimes but not that stupid but how would I know if I was?

In any case, I updated one machine. It takes a long time to download and install. The download was a server issue of being busy. The install is a major update and be prepared to do something else while it happens. All went smoothly and there were no problems at all. First thing I noticed was a slight change in the menu structure. Otherwise it's all good so far.

I can speed up the update to the other machines by creating a DVD or USB update media by downloading the media creation tool. This same DVD or USB can always be used to reinstall windows as a clean install in the future.

Apparently those who missed the cutoff might be able to still do so by rolling back their system clock. No news of officially extending the update offer.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Microsoft is not offering this update all users at the same time via the normal update function but schedules them to ease server and network load. There is a 'Windows update assistant' which allows you to trigger the anniversary update at any time. This update is almost like installing a new system - similar to the upgrade of Windows 8 to 8.1. It requires a min free memory of 16G on the C: drive or won't start. This can be a problem on small tablet computers which only come typically with a C: drive of 32G total, system files, the swap file, program files etc take quickly more than 16G. To circumvent that problem you still can use the 'Media creation tool' and download the latest version either onto a USB stick attached to your system or as a Windows.iso file to burn onto a DVD. Now 3G are offloaded onto another media and you can run the update installation from DVD or the USB-Stick. Some previously running programs or apps or utilities may be kicked out during the Windows Update and can only be restarted and used with a program update as well.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil