Will Pigment Clog up Quicker Than Dye. ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This seems to be a burning question right now, especially if you are an Epson print owner, and the answer seems to be getting pretty simple now.

If you don’t print that option, it is true to say that you may dramatically increase the lightly hood of a clog in the print head, but this is not necessarily so now with the Canon Pro printers.

If your fortunate enough to have a Dye or pigment Pro printer then head clog ups are mostly a thing of the past, even left for a week or so these printers bounce back and will give you a perfect nozzle check nearly every time.

But the interesting thing about the Pro printers is that the pigment ink models are even less likely to give you any head trouble at all, and there is now no impediment not to get yourself one, kiss goodbye to head clogs, they are a thing of the past... ;)

Apologies for annoying the hell out of any Epson print owner, it’s nothing personal against Epson... :th

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I leave my Canon printers for 3 or 4 weeks a few times a year, and never had a clog.
The pigments are even more reliable than the dyes.

But I suppose Epson solved these problems in the mean time too ?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I got extremely lucky. Do not try the following.

My Canon MP830 was packed away for 7 months, the cartridges still in the print head, and had a slight nozzle clog that resolved after two regular cleanings and one deep cleaning.

Initial nozzle check after unpacking and setting up printer. Note the missing ink in the center of the lighter colored C and M vertical bars and the lighter colored C horizontal bar. Everything else looks appropriate on the printed page.

Nozzle Check 1.jpg

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think there are some differences between Canon and Epson printers when it comes to refilling and clogging, most Epson cartridges cannot be refilled at all, Canon Cartridges can be, you may need a resetter or to replace chips but you can refill the original cartridges . I have seen quite some problems with 3rd party Epson 'compatible' cartridges , bad fitting, ink flow problems, air, which let the users believe the nozzles are clogged. Switching by to a CISS , e.g. on an old R265 I got away with all that. A week idle time with pigment inks is not a problem, or more, but I rarely let the printers relax that much, the same applies to an old Pro 7600. And beyond all that there are differences in this respect between different model families. I cannot say that I have any significant amount of clogging issues, not with dye or pigment inks , with my Epson hardware over a long time. I have seen some clogging problems with Brother printers related to 3rd party inks, there are small micromesh filters at the ink intake at the printhead assy, and clogs build up here and not at the nozzles, they just don't get ink anymore, but it looks like a nozzle blockage , and cleaning would not help.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
...but this is not necessarily so now with the Canon Pro printers....

...that the pigment ink models are even less likely to give you any head trouble at all....

Apologies for annoying the hell out of any Epson print owner, it’s nothing personal against Epson... :th
The reason for not clogging of certain printers is the automatic maintenance and cleaning cycles, I think. So that the printer does what you have to do yourself with printers whithout such firmware integrated auto cleaning. I have an old HP b8850, which wakes up every day for doing maintenance - so the printer is ready for printing all the time... but maybe empty of ink after years of standby without a single print (it seems to waste very small amount of ink for daily cleaning cycles, I weighed 1-2 ml after a month)

But the reason of less clogging of pigment could be in fact the ink...
In the past I thought (like many others I think) that pigment must be more prone to clogging than dye. Until I used a B&W carbon ink set. "Ebony-6" from MIS, for Paul Roark's formulations and mixes. It is a pure carbon pigment black ink, without resin coat, like pure matte black. And guess what - this ink set can stand idle for weeks in my R285, and it will start firing without any purging, at least with less purging than my dye inks in the same printer. Don't know why.. but that's my experience...

And no apologies ... I have both brands, canon burns and epson cloggs.

akramjef

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson p50 printer
most of (clogging) is not a real clog (dry ink in the nozzle ). usually it is micro air bubble trapped in the nozzle . more clear in Epson because they use Spongless cartridges and during movement of the cartridges the ink will shake and air will dissolve in the ink ,when we leave it for few days air bubble will escape blocking the fine nozzle.that is why Epson cartridges has many partitions and channels inside the plastic cartridge to minimize this shaking effect.on the contrary canon use sponge inside their cartridge or for pro they put ink sac inside the plastic cartridge which when use the wall collapse and no negative pressure build inside and no air will replace the used ink.
the other cause is the type of ink ,most of 3rd party ink either will develop real clog due to cheap material and wrong composition .or generate gases if we leave it to stand for long time which will trap in the nozzle . Epson L series are less likely to clog because the cartridges are always filled with ink.only if you use bad quality ink.

Latest posts