Why would anyone get a 3D printer?

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
I am curious as to what PPL use them for? I've heard all about these devices but have not felt a need to get one. I've never seen one up close.

So what are you all using them for making?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am curious as to what PPL use them for? I've heard all about these devices but have not felt a need to get one. I've never seen one up close.
@flyboy, They are very similar to an inkjet printer, you first take your images (Whatever it maybe) and send it through an APP that converts it to a file that the printer can print from, just the same as your photo printer does with your prints from a photo editing APP.

The big difference is, you can learn how to design any object and print that object in 3-dimensional X, Y and Z and it uses plastic filament instead of water based inks, and there are thousands of objects already available to print if you don’t wish to learn to design starting out.

If you’re a curious guy that likes messing around making objects, then a 3D printer will fulfil your every desire x 100 times, but be warned they are very enjoyable and addictive in a good way...

Here is just one site with loads of little designs already made that are free to download and print...
https://www.thingiverse.com/newest/page:1
Well you did ask.. :D

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
What about making some Easter eggs. (for next year)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N

so.many.things.

Here's a sample of the types of things I "like" to print: https://www.thingiverse.com/NiftyStuff/likes

Lot of useful things... and stuff that isn't as useful ;)

The beauty is in the ability to tweak / customize / build the unique one-off things you can't buy or otherwise make, and then having it in your hands within a few hours.

This is one of my favorite examples! Not only did Joel have a part that fixed his problem within a few hours, but he was able to MAKE THE REPLACEMENT even better than the original!

(Watch at the 7:15 mark)