Who can tell me what is causing this problem?

Martijn74

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5350
I have owned and used my Canon MG5350 several years now. No complaints whatsoever. I'm using 3rd party cartridges that I refill manually. Sometimes I'm having issues from the fact that the printer won't recognise a cartridge, which I usually fix by replacing the cartridge. Now all of a sudden my printer is producing prints with odd stripes. See picture attached.
The stripes are very regular, which to me rules out clogging or other cleaning issues (although I did a thorough cleaning just to be sure). Since it seems to be an issue with blue (cyan), I replaced the cartridge with a new one I happened to have in stock. But to no avail. I'm clueless.

Does anyone recognise this issue?

Attachments

• 20161204_231746.jpg
    20161204_231746.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 336

Martijn74

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5350
As requested

Attachments

• nozzle check.jpg
    nozzle check.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 362

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Martijn, I’m sorry to say, you have lost your print head, it’s been damaged beyond repair.

When you use and refill 3rd party carts, you shouldn’t wait till the cart is empty to refill, do it when you first notice the low ink warning, you may have accidently run a cart to low resulting in ink starvation...

Here is a nozzle check from my grandsons ip7250, it too has been damaged just like yours...
Untitled-1.jpg

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
The Hat, I agree that Martijns printhead has most probably a electrical issue, C and Bk shows regular failure. The chance of cleaning may be 1%...
But the text black is okay, the printer could be used for B&W documents only.

But yours doesn't show this kind of regular failure, and the chance of cleaning it may be 10%...

I know it and repeat it frequently, canon heads are not as "permanent" as they claim to be (other than piezo heads), they are expendable.
But it happened to me just last week that 3-4 cleaning cycles, including 2 deep cleanings, using canon OEM ink (BCI-114 from LFP carts) cleared a rather bad canon head. The nozzle check was not as bad as yours - but almost as bad..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The Hat, I agree that Martijns printhead has most probably a electrical issue, C and Bk shows regular failure. The chance of cleaning may be 1%...
But the text black is okay, the printer could be used for B&W documents only.
@martin0reg, When I started to clean this head, it was barely showing any yellow or PGBK black, and the cyan and magenta were totally blank, it spent a week soaking in washing up liquid and a further week in pharmacist solution, and that’s the results I got.

I was delighted, because I wasn’t expecting anything from the printer at all, I taught both the head and logic board were fried, it cost me a new set of carts from OctoInkjet to get this far... :sick

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
So this nozzle check seems to be the end of the story..?? ...I thought it was the beginning..

Nevertheless it doesn't look look like an "electrical" failure to me. No regular or geometric failure pattern.. and the fact that cleaning did help (although not enough) is a good sign, this may be no indication of both head and logic board being damaged, I think. At least not yet...

Martijn74

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5350
Hi all,
Thank you for your analysis.
@The Hat I've already tried cleaning. No results. You're right that printing text documents in black still works fine.
I just looked up the price of a new printhead: €80 :(
I guess it's time for a new printer. I'll be more carefull this time with keeping an eye on the ink levels.