When transferring chips from CLI-42 (Pro-100) to refill cart....

belfastbiker

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
When transferring chips from OEM CLI-42 (for Canon Pro-100) carts to refill carts, must this be from OEM carts, or could we use cheap compatibles to harvest chips from?

If so, wondering why we can't seem to buy just chips, or the refills don't just contain chips alreadY?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@belfastbiker, There are two questions in one here, so I’ll try to answer both as best I can.

The only time you need to transfer a chip from a CLI-42 cart is when you want to replace the yellow cart, the replacement cartridge has a chip which must be disposed of first, most compatible chips won’t work while the rest of your chip set are OEM, all chip are colour specific...

You can purchase compatible carts with chips but they usually work as a set and not as individuals, but please don’t use compatible carts as a replacement for the CLI-42 yellow, it is recommended to only use OEM replacement carts, you can use any other CLI-42 cart also.
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-chip-removal-made-easy.5629/

belfastbiker

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Sounds like if ?I want to eventually have two sets of carts to refill, I should buy a second oem set first of all, and two "blank" yellow carts to put the oem chips onto when they run down?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Not sure where you are located, but check Craiglists for folks selling the Pro 100 printer they received via Canon rebates. I just purchased my 2nd one for cheap (not sure if I can post prices) off Craiglist for backup. So now, I have another set of oem catridges, print head and 13x19 Luster paper for the price of a set of print cartridges from Canon.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@The Hat , if she were a whiskey maker I would love her still. :love:gig