What's the best way to 'make' A5 paper?

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I want A5 paper

I'm guessing that the laws of economics mean that buying a pack of A4 paper and cutting in half will be cheaper than trying to buy A5

So, what's the best way to 'make' A5 paper?
If I have 500 sheets of A4 - can I cut this with 'something'?

I don't want to invest in an industrial guillotine - but at the same time don't want to get a cheap one and find it gets blunt after a while

ALSO: if trying to print on, what printers are the best to handle?
I've tried printing on some printers and have had mixed results
Some printers take the paper and pull it into the rollers in a wonky angle that screws everything up!
And that's even after I adjust the paper tray

Thanks

Omar

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OM2 So, what's the best way to 'make' A5 paper?
If I have 500 sheets of A4 - can I cut this with 'something'?
You can get A5 paper reams in a stationary store is you have one in your area but they will be twice the price of A4 reams.
The other way is to purchase a small paper guillotine in the same stationary store or Lidl supermarket.
ALSO: if trying to print on, what printers are the best to handle?
I've tried printing on some printers and have had mixed results
Some printers take the paper and pull it into the rollers in a wonky angle that screws everything up!
And that's even after I adjust the paper tray
You could try using a heavier paper or print in a higher quality mode that way the printer would feed your paper a lot slower..:)

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The Hat said:
You can get A5 paper reams in a stationary store is you have one in your area but they will be twice the price of A4 reams.
The other way is to purchase a small paper guillotine in the same stationary store or Lidl supermarket.
thats the thing
ur average guillotine will do about 10 pages max at a time?
not really suited for mass cutting

The Hat said:
You could try using a heavier paper or print in a higher quality mode that way the printer would feed your paper a lot slower..:)
aaah... ok... that's great advice

i've seen in viking they have 2.54 + vat for 500 a5
i might consider going for this

but would prefer to buy 500 a4 paper for 2 and cut in half!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Unrelated to inkjet printing, a non-profit organization I work with needed a special size paper. I went to a firm that sells all types of paper to the printing trade as well as the public and they cut entire reams with one slice with their industrial size paper cutter. Costs a little extra, but worth the cost in time saved. Any reasonably large printing firm will have such a cutter and will usually cut your paper for a small charge.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
Unrelated to inkjet printing, a non-profit organization I work with needed a special size paper. I went to a firm that sells all types of paper to the printing trade as well as the public and they cut entire reams with one slice with their industrial size paper cutter. Costs a little extra, but worth the cost in time saved. Any reasonably large printing firm will have such a cutter and will usually cut your paper for a small charge.
see, that's the thing - how small is a small charge?
1? 2? per 500 sheets?
i think they (the world) should start mass manufacturing a5 papers - saves trees

for me, the main reason, u might think odd!
an a4 paper will weigh 7g or 8g
when posting with an order, it can tip the balance for the order falling into different weight bands - and thereby costing a lost extra!
so sometimes i leave out the invoice - to save on postal costs!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I believe that more than one ream at a time can be placed in the large hydraulic cutters that commercial printers use. Won't cost anything to check it out. Reducing postage costs isn't a bad idea, but the cost in pounds or time to cut the paper may negate the savings. Certainly worth investigating.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
OM2.

If you are selling over the internet, why not send them an electronic invoice in pdf form, that would save postage costs.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
good point
having something physical is different to an online version + on my invoices, i cross sell other items - i think this would have max effect in phyisical format

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
that's great! i'm definitely going to look into that. thanks