what type of ink?dye or pigment?

pdfman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask.
Can anyone confirm what type ofK is used in Brother DCP-115 printer please.pigment or dye.Thanks

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I checked Brother website, but found no info. Many 4 cartridge printers use dye ink for colors, and pigment ink for black. If your printer is also suitable for photo printing the manual might give a hint if it tells what cartridges are used for photo printing. If the printer only uses the 3 color cartridges the black is most likely pigment ink.

To test whether an ink is pigmented or dye, a cheap web cam, modified to work in the near infra red range can be used. This link is a good starting point, if you want to modify a web cam: http://www.hoagieshouse.com/IR/ . Note Coca-Cola looks like water in infra red, and I found out so does dye ink, both as liquid ink and printed on paper. Pigment ink appears black and opaque in infra red, both as liquid ink and printed on paper.

Here is a scan of a part of "Windows printer test page" in visible light as seen by a scanner:
6881_printertest_color1.jpg

And here is the same part of the test page seen by IR web cam:
6881_printertest_ir.jpg

The printer used is an inexpensive HP AIO which uses pigment black and dye ink colors. Note missing Microsoft logo in IR, dye ink is invisible in infra red.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
pdfman said:
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask.
Can anyone confirm what type ofK is used in Brother DCP-115 printer please.pigment or dye.Thanks
The ink used in a Brother DCP 115c Printer cartridge is the LC-900BK black which equates to dye Black only.. :)

pdfman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for your informative posts.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The US part numbers for Brother DCP-115c are LC41 series. Not sure what type of ink goes to each color but generally dye based inks are more often used in black cartridges and pigment inks in color cartridges. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Simon R. said:
The US part numbers for Brother DCP-115c are LC41 series. Not sure what type of ink goes to each color but generally dye based inks are more often used in black cartridges and pigment inks in color cartridges. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
As far as I know all of the inks are dye based in the DCP- 115c printer..

pdfman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I wrtite the results in case someone is pointed to this thread by a search engine.
The four carts in Brother DCP-115 are filled with Dye Ink.One must assure that the ink is to be used with brother printers as they have an extra additive called Glycerine I was told 3ml in each color cart.
Source:Internet

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Wao! It's interesting to know that dye ink is invisible in infra-red wavelength and pigmented isn't. Could anyone explain?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I recently filled my K cart for brother MFC-5895CW with dye ink instead of pigment and now can print nice photos on even glossy papers. The usual ink was not holding onto the glossy papers (but yes it had better grayscale)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I checked Brother website, but found no info. Many 4 cartridge printers use dye ink for colors, and pigment ink for black. If your printer is also suitable for photo printing the manual might give a hint if it tells what cartridges are used for photo printing. If the printer only uses the 3 color cartridges the black is most likely pigment ink.

To test whether an ink is pigmented or dye, a cheap web cam, modified to work in the near infra red range can be used. This link is a good starting point, if you want to modify a web cam: http://www.hoagieshouse.com/IR/ . Note Coca-Cola looks like water in infra red, and I found out so does dye ink, both as liquid ink and printed on paper. Pigment ink appears black and opaque in infra red, both as liquid ink and printed on paper.

Here is a scan of a part of "Windows printer test page" in visible light as seen by a scanner:
6881_printertest_color1.jpg

And here is the same part of the test page seen by IR web cam:
6881_printertest_ir.jpg

The printer used is an inexpensive HP AIO which uses pigment black and dye ink colors. Note missing Microsoft logo in IR, dye ink is invisible in infra red.
Yes! Absolutely! I use my regular Pignment K3 printers with Heavy Matte Paper.

Joe