What type of A3+ printer for seldom home printing

bluenite

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Designjet 30
Pls advise someone what to buy today with the following parameters (depending on preference):
1 / A3 - A3+ size (330x480mm)
2 / low volume printing, not frequent (nozzle clogging problem)
3 / acceptable cartridges price
I have experience with older HPDesignJet30 or Epson1800, Canon9550. Best for drying nozzles/sporadic printing was the HP. Prices of supplies are quite high. The other two are ink gluttons. Laser for photo +format the doesn't come into consideration.
May share someone with own experience?
thx Peter

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@bluenite, I use several A3+ Canon Pro printer, and never suffer from any clogging whatsoever, I can leave some of the printers sit for weeks on end and still have no difficulty with them.

Whether you choose the Pro 100, Pro 10 or even the pro 9500 MK2, these three printers are great for reusing their cartridges and are extremely easy to refill, as gluttons go, all printer will waste ink every time you turn them on if you have not used then recently, but on 3rd party inks who cares...

If you wish to stick to using OEM inks, then you must print a nozzle check at least every two days to exercise the print head and stop it running excessive cleaning routines...

bluenite

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Designjet 30
well, and what about the price of supplies? I prefer original ones, no substitutes

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There’s no harm is using just OEM inks, but as most of us on here have found that the price of theses inks can be so prohibitive, and if you’re not selling your print work and are just printing for a hobby, I have been using 3rd part ink for years with no ill effects and can recommend it.

There are several other Pro printers you can look at that would be more economical to use, they have bigger ink tanks which makes their use far more sense, Try the Epson 3880 and the Canon Pro 1000, bigger cartridges cheaper ink...

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
The investment (mostly time and discipline) in refilling is probably not justified when you print seldom.
That's why printer companies can continue selling ink at silly prices to people for many reasons (obedience, fear, sense of quality, ...).
Before going the full monty with refilling you could try 3th party cartridges (this works well for the consumer dye ink printers, steer away of refills for "pro" pigment ink).
Most important is to understand how an inkjet printer works and has to be maintained (with ink actually).

Latest posts