What should my next 3D printer be? Bigger = Better? - Creality CR-10

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I've been really liking my MP Select Mini, but the print volume is pretty small. I've wondered if I'll go bigger, and if I do, what it would be?

I've been seeing good stuff about the Creality CR-10. It's not "ready out of the box", but pretty dang close.

...which is important to me because I'm just not patient enough for a kit.

I really like watching Angus's videos, and the one today is EXACTLY why I purchased a "ready to run" MPSM as my first printer: https://youtu.be/tatYxfHUHvs

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
As an American, bigger always is better. (Even if it isn't...)

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
Curious:

How much better or cheaper will 3D printers be in 2 years ? Up to now i thought 3D printers where rapidly improving, so anything you bought was quickly obsolete. But i have not followed the trend in the past 2 years.

With normal printers i figure that there will be no significantly better or cheaper printer in the coming years at all, which makes it a lot easier to spend money on such a printer.

200$ for a select mini is definitely worth the money just as a tool to learn and experiment with the workflow of building 3D models. Even if you would let the actual 3D models go to a professional printing studio. Or if you have a use case where the quality it produces is sufficient for a longer time. if i had space for a model train, printing landscape/figure parts for that would be cool with a 3D printer.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'm definitely eying the Creality CR-10 (especially now that @The Hat is getting one). While I've been liking my MP Select Mini, I don't really need 2 printers, so I wonder if I return this one (which I can justify because of the broken bed wire) and get the CR-10?

I've been mentally making a list of the things I'd really like to have in my next 3D printer and this is what I'm thinking so far:

Larger print volume
Heated Bed
Auto bed leveling
Touch screen
Good Price Per Build Volume (not crazy expensive) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CBbMSX-s9Y
Good support community and lots of videos / info online for troubleshooting (which has been great about the MPSM since it's so popular)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Well, I settle on the Creality CR-10 with a build volume of 300*300*400mm. There are a TON of great reviews online and lots of people using it.

I purchased it from BangGood.com's US warehouse: https://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-W..._4mm-Nozzle-wp-Usa-1085645.html?rmmds=myorder

It was $419.99 + $8.30 FedEx shipping and I had an 11% off coupon, so my total price was $382.09 (I see right now it is down to $409).

Banggood said it was a pre-order, but I got an email yesterday that said it is going to be delivered TOMORROW!!! :ep

That gives me 10 days to play with the CR-10 and decide if one 3D printer (the CR-10) will be enough and I should return my MP Select Mini to Amazon, or if I should keep both.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
Well, I settle on the Creality CR-10 with a build volume of 300*300*400mm. There are a TON of great reviews online and lots of people using it.

I purchased it from BangGood.com's US warehouse: https://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-W..._4mm-Nozzle-wp-Usa-1085645.html?rmmds=myorder

It was $419.99 + $8.30 FedEx shipping and I had an 11% off coupon, so my total price was $382.09 (I see right now it is down to $409).

Banggood said it was a pre-order, but I got an email yesterday that said it is going to be delivered TOMORROW!!! :ep

That gives me 10 days to play with the CR-10 and decide if one 3D printer (the CR-10) will be enough and I should return my MP Select Mini to Amazon, or if I should keep both.
Why pretend? You know you're going to keep it! :gig