What is the difference in Compatible and Remanufactured Cartridges

novice

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Anybody here can explain the difference between Compatible and remanufactured cartridges.

I think differnce is only in packing. Because compatible comes in good packing with brand name.

I understand Compatible also made with virigin original empty cartridges?

Any company manufactueres empty cartridges to make compatible?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
3rd party vendors lack the equipment required to make certain kind of cartridges, especially those which combine ink tanks with printheads; they buy used cartridges, refill them and sell the as "remanufactured". They are 2nd-hand in reality.

Compatibles are made with virgin non-original empty cartridges. Construction quality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but compatibles have the potential to work like original cartridges.

It is in your best interest to get a printer that can accept compatibles instead of a printer whose only alternative are remanufactured cartridges.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I would expand some on Panos's answer.

With modern machine shop equipment its very easy to make molds that will duplicate
the interior and exterior dimensions of any ink jet cartridge.

But with the printhead on the cartridge type cartridge, the problem is duplicating the printhead. Which is made not to be transferable to a virgin cartridge and is protected by maker patients. So there is no choice but to use an OEM blank with a working printhead. Such re manufactered cartridges seldom come with savings over 2x over OEM from a manufacter.------and if the printhead on the cartridge is burned out--the cartridge is worthless.

With the ink tank type cartridges where the printhead is seperate from the cartridge, a new virgin tak can be made very cheaply---its not worth the cost, time, or trouble to recycle OEM depleted cartridges. And with those type of cartridges savings of up to 7x or so are possible. But depending on the mold and manufactering practices, quality can vary. Mostly the quality is more than good enough although there was a recent thread on leaking G&G cartridges where either the mold was way off or they rushed manufactering to the point significant warping occured.--and that lot of cartridges slipped through quality control and leaked into
the end users printers.

Given those marketing parameters I see little reason for a buyer to consider getting a lexmark, a dell, or a HP with a printhead on the cartridge---and then expect to save much using remanufactered cartridges. But if they are willing to endure the learning curve and get their hands dirty aspects of refilling their own, they can save significant money.

But I feel one is still way better off with a printer with the printhead off the cartridge. Not only does it stand to reason that its you can get a better printhead but
all options and advatages are working your way. But add a non crackable chip to the cartridge and most of those advatages are lost.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
There was a company from Taiwan that developed a technology to make HP compatible ink cartridges with compatible printheads on them. The company never made it to the US market. HP sued them in US court and successfully banned them from importing into the US market. If I remember correctly this happened at least 3 or 4 years ago. It told a story that the technology to make the printhead compatible to HP's do exist. The technology to make HP compatible ink also exists in Taiwan. HP printers might have a jump in market share had the company been allowed to sell in the US market. It would have made HP printer more attractive to people who would use 3rd party supply no matter what. The ban of importation of this company's product at least is one reason I stayed away from HP printers. In another words, lack of quality 3rd party supply keeps me away from HP printers.

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Please see my general pages regarding and comparing the three major print makers- Canon, HP, and Epson.

I have had experience with all, and I've made some general observations about each which remain true.

I do A LOT of printing, and thus, was the inspiration for both my own pages and this forum that I host along with Rob--

One of my main reasons for sticking with Canon printers is the affordability of using quality after market inks, that actually WORK WELL.

I had no such luck with HP after market carts- which was not only a more expensive way to go, but because of the integrated print heads,
made this more difficult than after market inks for either Canon or Epson.

I've had other issues with Epson as well-- so I've specialized in sticking with Canons, which have served me extremely well over the years.

Please see my site Neil's InkJet Page for details and general info regarding after market ink alternatives.

http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inkjetstuff.html

Thanks

novice

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all the participants of this topic.

I appreciate indepth knowledge of Osage and Neil Slade on the subject.