what is priming???

bogdan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Please excuse my english ... but ... what is "priming the carts"?

I can say I know (usual) english very well .. but in this (new) field of activity ... sometimes I'm lost, I do not fully understand what you are saying. I will search for sure for a new dictionary ...

Until then .. what is 'to prime', or 'priming' and how do you do it for different carts?

Please understand that English as a foreign language is not as easy as for a native english speaker so ... excuse me... Greatings from Romania...

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Bogdan,

Just like some water pumps need to be "primed" by putting water into the pump, inkjets also need to be primed before they will work properly. This is done by by removing ALL of the air in the flow channels between the nozzles and the ink source, usually by pulling a vacuum on the discharge of the print head.

Cleaning cycles in the printer usually pull a vacuum as part of this cycle. HP printers sometimes include a "Prime" cycle option along with their cleaning cycles - I believe that this is just a heavy duty vacuum cycle. When refilling carts with integral print heads, these carts often need to be "primed" after they are refilled, usually by an external device that pulls a vacuum on the printhead.

chadsichello

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Grandad,

I have no idea how to isolate the pigmented black and regular black for individual priming. Can you help me out on how to do this?

Thanks,

-chad

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Chad,

What printer do you have? Are you talking about manually priming a cart with an integral printhead after it has been refilled, or about priming carts while they are in the printer?

inky pink panther

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi I've violated the innocence of an Epson C84 print carriage, systematically stripping the parts down, cleaning them with alchohol and then carefully reassembling them.

The reason is that the blue head was not working(I've since found that this was probably due to an Epson counter reset problem) and I decided that the ink may have dried up inside the mechanism.

Once reassembled, I managed to power up and communicate with the printer without any errors being reported, and have been able to execute all the utilities in the software provided by EPSON. The problem is that the ink is only coming out in fits and starts, apparently at random, but when it does come out, the image is showing that all ports in the print head are functional - for all colours, but they then stop emitting any ink and just shoot blank until I power off the printer and leave it for a couple of days.

I think I just need to prime the pumps as described herein, but I am not sure if I need to have the pump on when I apply the vacuum, and I'm not sure how to get the vacuum to the pump(I'm nervous about applying any mechanism to the heads as they look pretty sensitive)can anyone help?

Thanks