what happened to canon's fine art variety pack?

opurora

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, Pro9000ii
As soon as I get my pro9000mkII the 13x19 variety pack paper disappears. Anyone know where I can find some? I really wanted to try the Photo Rag and Museum Etching papers. Thanks.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Good question!

My speculation is that all the new owners of 9000-2 from the rebate program gobbled up the variety pack. Canon was basically giving away that printer when you bought a moderate to high end body. Those 9000-2 owners were just faster to put in their order for the variety pack than we were. As Ross Perot, "that giant sucking sound ... of variety pack owners putting in their orders".

Ya snooze, ya lose ... :rolleyes:

My perception is that if you use Canon ink, then the default profiles provided by the print driver would work fine. Once you start using non-oem ink, you should use a profile. With only a few sheets in a variety pack, you've used up the paper making the profile.

I suppose the "scientific approach" to best use of the variety pack would be using real Canon oem ink with the recommended Media Type and High Quality. Make a print of a challenging image. This would demonstrate the near-best-case the paper+ink+printer was capable of. Then compare the results of the different papers and decide.

But my less-than-full-informed impression is that there are several problems:
* use of non-oem ink invalidates the comparisons
* for best results even with OEM ink, you should profile the printer, as one 9000-2 isn't the same as another 9000-2.

yoemei

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you for the share, it is very holpful for me. thanks!